Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you ever serve in the armed forces?

If you say you did wont believe you anyways..

Oh, stop! The desire to 'never leave a buddy behind' never requires the death of another to do so!

Strange then how it keep happening, isnt it? If it wherent for people putting their lives on the line for a living, even for people they dont know you wouldnt have "basic" services like the fire departement or the police..

Strange then how it keep happening, isnt it? If it wherent for people putting their lives on the line for a living, even for people they dont know you wouldnt have "basic" services like the fire departement or the police..

Now, c'mon! The discussion is a person losing his/her life in the recovery of a body. That has nothing to do with our first responders nor soldiers in battle in trying ito recover someone that may still be alive.

Rephrased: Are YOU okay with someone DYING to recover your BODY? Somehow, I do not see you as that selfish.

No, Im not comfortable with it, but Im also not naive enough to think people wouldnt, especially in closely bonded groups like a diving community can be.

Well have read the all the PROS and CONS on this tread,,,

and after diving many years while young,in the US Navy,owning many dive shops and being a instructor for many years and also a captain for dive boats,,,

and i am still alive and well,,

i have dived alone myself,,,,,OTHER THAN by taking line off my props,changing props,scraping many boat bottoms, pulling my anchor up when in the rocks,but never ALONE looking around or doing photography,,

remember the very old saying,,,

there are a lot of old divers,and many bold divers but not too many old-bold divers,

just my thoughts on Diving by yourself,,,

THE WETTER THE BETTER!

Anybody who dies recovering a body is a fool.

Not necessarily ... sometimes it just means that the dive didn't go according to plan.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Did you ever serve in the armed forces?

If you say you did wont believe you anyways..

Nope!!

But I have spent my entire adult life trying to get people out of the predicaments that they get themselves into.

Rule number 1 -- It ain't your emeregency.
Rule number 2 -- You can't cure stupid.
Rule number 3 -- Everybody goes home.

Not necessarily in that order!

In many places, it is professionals who do the rescuing, Police divers, get bodies, firemen, soldiers, all have orders to do their job, rescuing, saving peoples lives. as they have been trained.

Makes no difference really if the dead guy was a fool, a priest, a solo diver etc. If those guys feel that the risk is too high to dive , then they reevaluate based on training, experience, protocols etc..

I have been diving alone all my diving life- 30 yrs, somewhere around 4-600 dives. When I started, I did do a few buddy dives, spent most of my time ''lookin fur buddy''.
The ''plan your dive - dive your plan'' is good advice, but requires discipline and communication. And if not adhered to, you may just as well be on your own.

For me here were simply very few divers around, and I wanted to dive, my max depth was 120-140 feet, Had Icing problems with regulators, strong currants that carried me a loooong swim back to my dive boat etc. All learning experiences that , if a divers ''lucky'' will continue to make him a better diver.

Risk, down under I am in control of my destiny,if I do something foolish, for sure there can be consequences. Driving down the highway, my destiny is in the hands of the person driving towards me on the other side.No matter HOW safely I conduct myself. Guess which place I feel more a risk?

I have helped with a few too many body recoveries in this region, snowmobliers over the edge of the ice, boaters, fishermen. A few years ago a diver ( yes there are getting a few more around now.... He apparently had been diving under the ice to pick up scallops. This time he became disoriented, couldn't find the hole, ran out of Air...

Which one of these guys are the more irresponsible, the snowmoblier, who was careless, the boater/fisherman who lived on the water all his life and just took one risk too many, the boater/diver, solo or with a group, who doesn't know that he don't know much. Do they all deserve to be rescued, sure. do they all deserve to have their remains brought home, I think so, then, just let the guys who are trained to get them decide if it is worth the risk...

RonzoTheGREAT, First and foremost I am sorry for your loss, as I believe I knew your friend. I have asked the question in other forums if some of the divers we have lost would not still be here if they had not had a partner. Or at least been in eyesight of their partner.

I apologize for the term " partner ", as I see that it is not popular. I have had drinking buddy's, and fishing buddy's, and I even had a dog named buddy once.

But when you enter the water with me, you are my partner. Perhaps I take things too seriously.

The following is just my observation, but there seems to be a pattern to me.

1) Dive boat leaves diver at dive site

Where was his partner

2) Group of divers exit water just to discover one of group missing

Where was his partner

3) group on divers return to dive boat just to realize one of group is 35 minutes late in returning

Where was her partner

And on and on and on.

Now if these people were diving by themselves, that would be a different story.

But in all cases, they were diving with a group.
Which makes me tend to think that, nowadays, people may enter the water as a group, but once they hit the bottom they all go their separate ways. Then exit somewhat as a group.

This is just my observation. But there is no doubt in my mind that, if a partner was evolved in some of these situations, the outcome would have been far different.

The following is just my observation, but there seems to be a pattern to me.

1) Dive boat leaves diver at dive site

Where was his partner

2) Group of divers exit water just to discover one of group missing

Where was his partner

3) group on divers return to dive boat just to realize one of group is 35 minutes late in returning

Where was her partner

And on and on and on.

Now if these people were diving by themselves, that would be a different story.

But in all cases, they were diving with a group.
Which makes me tend to think that, nowadays, people may enter the water as a group, but once they hit the bottom they all go their separate ways. Then exit somewhat as a group.

This is just my observation. But there is no doubt in my mind that, if a partner was evolved in some of these situations, the outcome would have been far different.

Group diving is not buddy diving ... in almost all cases, these people are making the assumption that they have a buddy, when in fact they don't.

In those rare cases that I dive in a group ... which is always when I'm on vacation in some tropical place ... I will either make sure I bring along a buddy I can count on, or I will assume I am diving alone and prepare accordingly.

In a group, the best assumption to make is that nobody is really watching anybody ... you're all just a bunch of solo divers who happen to be diving close together ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom