Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, I thought about that and was wondering how I could practice it. I currently have the Eezycut Trilobite cutters but am thinking a good dive knife is needed. You have any knife recommendations?
What does a knife do that the Tribolite doesn't? Except knife fighting of course? :wink:

What does a knife do that the Tribolite doesn't? Except knife fighting of course? :wink:
LOL, that's why I ask questions. Besides knife fighting, I was thinking about redundancy and maybe placing the knife on my calf and have the Tribolites on my BCD.

I have a Tribolite on the right-hand shoulder strap of my BC, just above the D-ring. I can reach it with both hands. So for being able to always reach a cutting tool with both hands, I don't need a backup. But then again, I don't dive solo. I depend on my dive buddy to get me out of anything that might entangle me in a manner that prevents me from getting to my cutting tool (i.e. entangle the cutting tool itself).

Besides CESA, what incidents would you train for and how? Do you always carry the pony or do you reserve it for Deep dives? Thanks.
1) entanglements for sure. I currently have 1 trilobite on my waistband and 1 4" titanium knife on my inside calf. Both reachable by either hand without issue. The knife is for anything larger than fishing or cave line that might need to encouragement to be removed. My drysuit has a trilobite on the right forearm as well.
2) my pony is with me on every dive. Buddies suck and won't always be there for you and how you need it. My pony will always have air for me and won't complain about my proposed profile or that I'm taking too long looking at critters. Pony = piss off, not yours.
3) train for using your pony and how long you can breath off of it at 30ft, 20ft, & 10ft. Know how your pony reg breathes when the tank is near empty. I get 12 minutes @ 20ft and 15 @ 15 ft while actively swimming with my 13 ft³ pony. It breathes hard when I have 3-4 breaths left.
4) be able to fix a slipped tank on your own. Not really an issue if you have dual cam bands.
5) navigation... you need to be able to know where you are and how to get back. That can be with your compass or intuition. I have a pretty good internal compass and know about where I'm at and what direction to go based on how long I've been finning and where I was coming from. I still take a compass heading before the dive and mark it on my wet notes and perdix of it isn't a regular dive site or it's a specific target I want to hit.
6) donning and doffing gear 100% on your own and doing your own bwraf. Make a list and follow it exactly every time you dive regardless of you're solo or buddy diving.

WWMND?

OMMOHY

Hmmm, I thought about that and was wondering how I could practice it. I currently have the Eezycut Trilobite cutters but am thinking a good dive knife is needed. You have any knife recommendations?
i've got an aqua lung titanum knife, couldn't tell you the model, but it's about 2.5-3" long blade. goes on my waist strap, and doesn't rust, my long hose secures around it.
I've also got the trilobyte razor, that i keep on the other side, i know a lot of people (at least in south florida) attach that to their computer. I also keep a pair of trauma sheers in my drusuit pocket for PSD diving.

My suggestion is another.
Why does your wife does not like the idea of diving with you?
My entire life had been very different if my wife did not share my same passion for diving.
Diving together is a strong experience, it will cement your love and your affinity.
Our best moments have been diving together. Better than sex...
(well sometimes the things coincided, but this is another story).
We have been together for almost 50 years, and I do not think this could have been possible without sharing this passion together.
So I think you should explore more in detail this scenario, and if there are impediments, I think it is worth to find a way around them, as the prize that both of you will get is IMMENSE.
It is literally a thing that can change your entire life, and definitely your relationship.

I haven't used my knife yet in 18 years now. Did get a little fishing line around me once but didn't need it to escape. I'm not used to looking for that here in NS and I have yet to see any, but down South yes, where it's more populated. I always stay away from anything I can see that's iffy-- usually by following the rule of swim over it. I stay way above eel (sea) grass that's taller than one foot or so.

It's OK if you stay in the shallows. Do not go over the drop-off and you'll be fine. There is plenty to see in the shallows there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom