Solo Diving

Solo diving: which are you more likely to attempt?

• Solo freediving

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Solo scuba

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Neither!

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • I'm willing/have already tried both

Votes: 54 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - thanks guys! As I have never freedived (except for the 5 meters to the bottom of the swimming pool etc) I have always thought as a buddy in the scuba sense - i.e. someone with another air supply! :eyebrow: I didn't really see that in connection to free diving. I suppose what is being called a buddy in free diving here is what I'd usually think of as a safety diver. I must say that because of SWB etc, I don't think I'd ever want to do that on my own!!! (although I will solo scuba at very shallow depths!)

I certainly try and always have a buddy with me, although it is understood that while one of us initiates a dive the other remains at the surface. We also use the one fourth rule that is: whatever agreed upon depth we are going to the buddy will descend to one fourth that depth and ascend with me.

holdingmybreath:
Lot's of gain there Kim... it's a lot easier to push for personal bests of time and depth with a buddy, the comfort level for longer bottom times and deeper depths is increased because you know someone is there for you... yes.. if you suffer from swb or other some such (kinda like a buddy while scubadiving.. in case you suffer from some mechanical failure of equipment or dcs or embolism or some such) + while freediving with a buddy there's always the fun of a little friendly and safe competition if you are so inclined. Myself, and I'm sure other freedivers, never feel limited on what depth you can go to with a buddy.. but always feel limited on what depth you can go to while going solo. AND.. with a buddy, if you're using a drop line, you don't have to always pull it up yourself!
Great reply holdingmybreath! Wish this board had "karma" 'cause you'd definitely get some from me. You've pretty much nailed the reasons for having a freedive buddy.

freediver:
use the one fourth rule that is: whatever agreed upon depth we are going to the buddy will descend to one fourth that depth and ascend with me.

This is a good rule and when we're line diving it gets used. The problem when you're recreationally diving is that you never now when or where a person is coming up. However, we're less likely to be pushing our limits recreationally as well.

I also have done both on occasion, although I feel safer scuba diving without a buddy than freediving. I'm reasonably confident I can recover from an out of air situation by simply surfacing on scuba, I'm not as confident I can recover from a blackout on my own...

badmojo:
I also have done both on occasion, although I feel safer scuba diving without a buddy than freediving. I'm reasonably confident I can recover from an out of air situation by simply surfacing on scuba, I'm not as confident I can recover from a blackout on my own...

Good point. I am very comfortable knowing if something were to happen while on scuba, I could manage it effectively. But as you mentioned, if I were to swb I would be in a lot of trouble without some intervention.
I never do a training freedive beyond my buddy's comfort level and if I am attempting a personal best I have someone in water on scuba.

Nothing wrong with Solo diving as long as you have the proper training and redundant gear as backup.

KVDIVR:
Nothing wrong with Solo diving as long as you have the proper training and redundant gear as backup.
You're referring to scuba, of course....... and in that respect I completely agree with you. The problem (the "rub", as it were) is that your "equipment" for freediving is primarily your body. If that fails - as in the case of swb - what then?

I have soloed with a tank. I haven't broken into the freediving sport I figure along the lines of an earlier post that my diving down and swiming the bottom at 20- 25 feet for 30 seconds probably doesn't count.

JPG:
I have soloed with a tank. I haven't broken into the freediving sport I figure along the lines of an earlier post that my diving down and swiming the bottom at 20- 25 feet for 30 seconds probably doesn't count.
And I'll reiterate......... Why on earth wouldn't it count????

When I started "freediving" my personal best was like 18' and a total dive of <30 seconds.

You are most assuredly a Freediver in that respect. All that matters is that you submerge yourself "a foot and a breath". (I looked for where I got that quote, but was unable to find the site - however some very good descriptions of freediving generally can be found here and here) All you need to be a freediver is the desire to see what's "down there" while holding your breath........ there will always be those who can dive deeper abd longer, and there will always be those who can do neither as well as you.

I agree freefloat take a breath dive down you are now officially a freediver.

Beyond that how many freediving fatalities are related to someone who was "well within their limits" or just doing a couple laps in the pool. Everybody is different and everyday is different for everybody. That's whats so tricky about solo freediving, it's very very difficult to measure which day your at risk. At any rate, I'm not saying don't dive alone, I'm just saying beware the illusion of safety, complacency breeds accidents...

Back
Top Bottom