Solo Diving

Solo diving: which are you more likely to attempt?

• Solo freediving

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Solo scuba

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Neither!

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • I'm willing/have already tried both

Votes: 54 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you free dive with a buddy, make sure that buddy can dive as deep as you. We had a case in the Keys ('99 or '01) when two freedivers went out for a jaunt. Buddy #1 dove down and got himself entangled. Buddy #2 couldn't dive down as deep as Buddy #1, and watched him drown. He had to radio for help... too late of course.

I always tell that story to my snorkeling students, to keep them safety-conscious.

i am much more confident scuba diving solo than freediving. just like all the rest, its the shallow water blackout that is the most probable cause. and have been very close to shallow blackout several times. That's why i prefer solo scuba diving , end up every single dive on scuba diving with great experience.

being able to spend an hour a 15 to 20 feet without being bothered watching them small critters

I admit that snorkelling solo is not a good idea, but, since I don't have or know any one to do with, I'll have to do it solo. I don't have a choice. So, that's the way to do it, since I don't know any one that I could do it with. Corey

Brand new member here... go easy on me.

I am also new to freediving/snorkeling. My buddies have a real problem with me going solo snorkeling. I live in Fort Lauderdale and am really loving this sport, but my buddies are unavailable most of the time. So I ask them, "what should I do? Wait for the buddy or go solo - they say wait, I say go solo. Needless to say, I should appreciate their concern and the fact that they are worried for my safety.

Ok - I have some questions - are there any snorkelers in South Florida that want a snorkel partner? I bring a lot to the table - I have a boat (new) with room for six occupants (max) (four would fit better) I have a flexible schedule that allows me week day times and/or weekend times - (I am a Realtor) My wife is very understanding and lets me live my "second childhood" as I wish
I am getting into spearfishing, too -
I go out of Port Everglades every week to go fishing (top side) and I can travel from the Keys to wherever / whenever - I have done a little time in Pennekamp and much more time off Fort Lauderdale (first and second reefs- love those ledges!)

So here is the end of my story:
I have the boat and the gear / the time and the locations -
does anyone want to join me in several offshore shallow water trips?

there are lots of freedivers in your area on the DeeperBlue forums. the link is in my sig line. :D

Hey SellingFlorida,
my brother and I, from up here in the cold northland are trying to get to fl sometime within the next 2 months.. we'd sure appreciate a local helping us out. we've been trying to get there the last 2 months but our schedules just haven't allowed, in fact today he called me about going tomorrow.. just can't on that short of notice. What's the depths like at the reefs off of ft.lauderdale?

holdingmybreath,

Short notice is fine with me. Here in South Florida, if the weather is reasonable, work is a secondary activity. Fishing, boating, diving are priority. (Sometimes all three in the same day)
There are three reefs that parallel fort lauderdale. The first reef is accessable from the beach, in about thirty feet of water. We take the boat and tie up to the bouys/reef balls. The second reef is in about sixty feet of water and the destination of most scuba divers. The third reef is about three miles out and in 100'.

I am new to freediving so my information will be estimates. Locals with exact details will correct me. I have fished these reefs for some time and snapper, grouper, baracuda, small sharks, big sharks and everything in between can be found on these reefs.

We "chum" to bring the fish. Then spear them and eat them.

Let me know when you plan your spur of the moment trip. We can hook up and hit some reefs. I have a couple buddies that could join us, my boat holds lots of people, so it's a party! I need a couple hours notice and I am ready to go....I love this place!

Gary C

Not to get o/t here, but you can reach about 100 feet right off lighthouse ledge. If you're ballsy you can get to the second reef from the beach as well. Lots of artificial reefs with easy penetration. (sellingflorida, I have a friend that lives off A1A on NE40th, we had a scuba charter down there for a short time running with The Scuba School on A1A and Oakland)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom