Solo flying vs. Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried flapping my arms and legs and no matter how fast or hard I do it I still can't fly but doing the same in the water will get me to the surface.

Last edited:
Do you have a documented case of an instructor being sued from a solo diving accident?

I said nothing about lawsuits ... but if you read the incidents and accidents forum, what I said about assumptions will become obvious ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

True. Comparatively speaking I have more training and experience in diving than flying. In flying I am at the OW cert level, if such a comparison is even valid. In diving I have a few more levels above OW.

The downdraft flight I described before was a training solo xcountry flight. Thankfully, skies were clear and there was no cloud ceiling. I was simply flying that low because that was the altitude I prescribed in my flight plan, which was reviewed and approved by my instructor and filed with Transport Canada. I knew about mountain waves, but there is a big difference in knowing about them and actually experiencing them.

At first I didn't even know I was in a downdraft. You notice the loss in altitude, check engine power settings, mags, carb heat, and everything looks fine. But you're still losing altitude in spite of gunning the little C-152 engine to best climb. It was only then that, with my limited experience, I recognized that I must be in a down draft.

I eventually came out of the downdraft and then made a series of climbing turns to get above mountain peaks for my way back. My flight plan did not specify going this high (6000' approx, if I'm remembering things correctly) on the way back, but screw the flight plan. I was not riding mountain waves again.

Shortly thereafter I passed the final flight test and got my PPL. I was working on the night rating on my way to IFR when the wife says that she's found the house of her dreams... I acquiesced and the mortgage increase killed the flying budget :depressed:

I haven't flown in a while. Now I have children. Other priorities come up. I'm thinking of getting reactivated in about 2 or 3 years just so that I can take my kid sightseeing around here. But the plans for IFR or CPL are placed on hold for a while longer. Fortunately, diving is cheaper than flying.

Ah ok, different story, not doing anything wrong but stuff happens and we all have those stories! I can relate, and those airplanes remind me a bit of scooters which I consider much more dangerous than motorcycles! Sometimes it takes power to get out of a situation.....when is the last time you ever heard of a windshear crash of a Learjet? Never I think because when ya firewall something like that and pitch up you're basically outta there!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom