Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Stokes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Being semi retired, I find myself going solo during the middle of the week.
I have been cautious (duplicate equip., 19 cu ft bailout bottle, dive buoy etc.)
Looking for discussion, tips, tricks etc.

I know ...according to PADI,NAUI, I am a bad boy.....too bad.
I think they should have a cert for it.

Any comments?

steveoreno

Why do you need a certificaton? Do you need to justify your actions? Do you need approval? SDI has a solo certification, but you don't have enough dives logged to take it.

Being unemployed a while I find myself going solo in the middle of the week also. I just can't resist it when the ocean is flat and I know there's good visibility. I have found it to be terrific for many reasons. Lots of good advice from the members here, pick and choose what works for you. I'm lucky to live in an area where there are a few reefs and plenty of life to see close to shore, so all my solo time is < 20'. I let personal safety and common sense along with situational awareness guide me, never had a bad experience going solo. I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear only because of the limits I've set for myself when solo, a flag, 2 cutting tools a knife and a line cutter, snorkel, a safety sausage buoy, a standard octo rig, a compass (shore line is always due west) no need to surface, 3 tubes of glucose gel (never had to use one). Stay safe and enjoy.

Being semi retired, I find myself going solo during the middle of the week.
I have been cautious (duplicate equip., 19 cu ft bailout bottle, dive buoy etc.)
Looking for discussion, tips, tricks etc.

I know ...according to PADI,NAUI, I am a bad boy.....too bad.
I think they should have a cert for it.

Any comments?

steveoreno

Hi Steve,

The equipment you take along is entirely dependant on the environment and planned dive.

There is often a lot of "lively" discussion regarding pony bottles, "two of everything", etc. But one of the things that concerns me with this approach is that the redundancy gained by a pony bottle can create a false sense of security and could lead to doing dives that would otherwise cause the diver to stop and think. I'm not "anti-pony" or "anti-redundancy", just examine why you feel that you need the redundancy.

As far as training and certification for solo, I'll echo what Walter said, and go one further: I really do not think "solo" can be taught. I do not believe there are any unique skills, secret handshakes, or magical equipment configurations. You should already have mastered the skills needed to dive in your local environment before considering solo.

My opinion is that solo is really just an application of basic dive skills, minus a buddy at your side. You are now responsible for all the planning, situational awareness, navigation, the works. I don't think there is a magic number of dives or a certain certifcation level to acheive before you are ready to solo.

For my own solo diving: I use the exact equipment configuration that I use on buddy dives. I usually do not take a pony. If I am planning a dive that I feel that a pony would really be required then I'd rather have a buddy on that dive.

Again, your equipment choices will depend on your environment, and what works in Hawaii may not be appropriate in other places.

Best wishes.

I was really looking for the secret hand shake and password.

No, really just information to ponder, maybe use.
In the Boy Scouts we collected merit badges,I think I have collected all known metal working tools and equipment, Why not collect certs?

My opinion is that solo is really just an application of basic dive skills, minus a buddy at your side. You are now responsible for all the planning, situational awareness, navigation, the works. I don't think there is a magic number of dives or a certain certifcation level to acheive before you are ready to solo..

Well I agree...I freedive/snorkel solo quite often and have done a couple of solo scuba dives now and for myself I an fine with it.

Hi Steve,

The equipment you take along is entirely dependant on the environment and planned dive.

There is often a lot of "lively" discussion regarding pony bottles, "two of everything", etc. But one of the things that concerns me with this approach is that the redundancy gained by a pony bottle can create a false sense of security and could lead to doing dives that would otherwise cause the diver to stop and think. I'm not "anti-pony" or "anti-redundancy", just examine why you feel that you need the redundancy.

As far as training and certification for solo, I'll echo what Walter said, and go one further: I really do not think "solo" can be taught. I do not believe there are any unique skills, secret handshakes, or magical equipment configurations. You should already have mastered the skills needed to dive in your local environment before considering solo.

My opinion is that solo is really just an application of basic dive skills, minus a buddy at your side. You are now responsible for all the planning, situational awareness, navigation, the works. I don't think there is a magic number of dives or a certain certifcation level to acheive before you are ready to solo.

For my own solo diving: I use the exact equipment configuration that I use on buddy dives. I usually do not take a pony. If I am planning a dive that I feel that a pony would really be required then I'd rather have a buddy on that dive.

Again, your equipment choices will depend on your environment, and what works in Hawaii may not be appropriate in other places.

Best wishes.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Rick you asked what equipment I take, when solo.

Outside the basic equip. i have 2 knives,19cu ft pony, 2 computers,signal mirror,whistle,usually pull along a diver down buoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom