Some bodies they never find - diving with an emergency PLB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
I tried the canister above and had 2 of 3 leak no matter what I tried so I got Light Monkey to make me 3. Not cheap for sure but as usual you get what you pay for. . . .

That's great! I had no idea LM would make them. There are so few serious canister options out there for PLBs, etc.

That's great! I had no idea LM would make them. There are so few serious canister options out there for PLBs, etc.

Corey was more than helpful, it's a solid made canister that's for sure. I sent down the PLB1 to make sure of fitment.

... I tried the canister above and had 2 of 3 leak no matter what I tried...

How long ago did you try them? Do you think they could have resolved their production problems and were they good about replacing them and/or refunding?

Last edited:
ACR currently has a winter promotion going on right now, $50 cash rebate on all PLB's. Except Aqualink view, that's $100 rebate. Now is a good time to buy one. Although, I wouldn't recommend Aqualinks for diving, they are too big compared to the ResQlinks. The promotion runs until Dec 31.

I prefer ACR but I'm biased! Ha! Because my company sells ACR and I'm an ACR EPIRB/PLB technician/salesperson, ha! And I get them at dealer cost. Lucky me! :D

ACR currently has a winter promotion going on right now, $50 cash rebate on all PLB's. Except Aqualink view, that's $100 rebate. Now is a good time to buy one. Although, I wouldn't recommend Aqualinks for diving, they are too big compared to the ResQlinks. The promotion runs until Dec 31.

I prefer ACR but I'm biased! Ha! Because my company sells ACR and I'm an ACR EPIRB/PLB technician/salesperson, ha! And I get them at dealer cost. Lucky me! :D
I think it was you who alerted me to the return of the $50 rebate recently.
The ACR 2881 floats, is waterproof enough to use on the surface, small enough to be unnoticed in a back pack, and cheap. With current $50 rebate, only $200, good for 5 years standby.
ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Personal Locator Beacon
If you have to use it and return it with a good rescue story, they'll replace the battery for free.
Now we are told they will keep the old one for their trophy section and send a brand new one. Sweet...!

I tried the canister above and had 2 of 3 leak no matter what I tried so I got Light Monkey to make me 3. Not cheap for sure but as usual you get what you pay for.

I find it rather curious that you are the only customer that I am aware of who has had a leakage problem...two canisters, no less!

Why have you not bothered to email me to let me know?...I would then have sent you replacements at no cost to you.

I would also be interested to have them back for evaluation.

This issue has been discussed before (together with your inappropriate use of the carry pouches...which you also complained about) so I won't dwell on it.

I think it was you who alerted me to the return of the $50 rebate recently.

Now we are told they will keep the old one for their trophy section and send a brand new one. Sweet...!

Yes, in the service shop they have at least 10 of them hanging on the wall with little plaques describing what happened and how it saved the person, etc. It's interesting. :)

I'm still looking for dye packs.Dandy, who are you diving with that keep having trouble finding you? None of my ops have lost me yet (knock on wood) and recently one found me when I lost them before I was even nervous.I'd still be interested in dye packs. I'd like t have a big ole colorful slick around me for the air rescue to see.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2015 at 10:58 PM ----------

Not sure I agree with the title of this thread, bodies they don't find for the most part don't reach the surface. A PLB isn't going to do anything if you are dead.

Back on topic.

I tried the canister above and had 2 of 3 leak no matter what I tried so I got Light Monkey to make me 3. Not cheap for sure but as usual you get what you pay for.

I paid $225 each and I've got SOLAS "BEACON" stickers ordered from SOLAS Diving Stickers : DiveSigns.com: Reflective hard wearing vinyl stickers for all your diving needs..., Be Seen When It Counts

It fits nicely on the tank band up against the back on our BCD's, out of the way. And with the SOLAS sticker quite obvious as to it's contents (should I be incapacitated or worse)

Some pics:

View attachment 217508View attachment 217509View attachment 217510View attachment 217511

Ehat are the dimensions on these things? I'm wondering why a retired divelight casing wouldn't do the trick for less than a new canister?

---------- Post added October 5th, 2015 at 10:59 PM ----------

Yes, in the service shop they have at least 10 of them hanging on the wall with little plaques describing what happened and how it saved the person, etc. It's interesting. :)

Ten, eh? How many were divers lost at sea?

I'm still looking for dye packs.Dandy, who are you diving with that keep having trouble finding you? None of my ops have lost me yet (knock on wood) and recently one found me when I lost them before I was even nervous.I'd still be interested in dye packs. I'd like t have a big ole colorful slick around me for the air rescue to see.
I've never been lost or left, but I'd want the first time to be a short one.

Dye packs are easy to find online. Here's one site, but you might want to confirm that the packs hold up well to pressure at depth, as well as trip to trip handling. Fluorescent Green Sea Dye Survival Marker-Two Pack

Ehat are the dimensions on these things? I'm wondering why a retired divelight casing wouldn't do the trick for less than a new canister?
I guess a lot of canisters with previous uses can be reused to carry PLBs as small as they are now. Just replace and regrease O-rings as needed.

Ten, eh? How many were divers lost at sea?
Interesting question. I am more concerned with risks on land, like driving down the wrong road or off of one, then getting stranded with no cell reception, and especially some the hikes I've done with the kids wondering if one of us got hurt, could another go for help and then find their way back ok - with groups splitting up just adding to risks. Ten trophy PLBs but hundreds dying in the US alone, in the news every day.

…Dandy, who are you diving with that keep having trouble finding you? None of my ops have lost me yet (knock on wood) and recently one found me when I lost them before I was even nervous…

I have been on two small boats that swamped and sunk under me and have seen several that caught fire. I have also been on and seen tons of boats with disabled propulsion or had close calls, like blowing a cooling hose. There are lots of reasons that even the most responsible captain won’t be able to take you home.

It isn’t as big a concern if you boat dive close to shore with lots of boat traffic. Unfortunately, there are a lot of dive destinations around the world that don’t meet that criterion. It really doesn’t matter if you are on a 100'+ luxury liveabaord or a native dugout without a radio. They are all candidates for your next wreck dive.

There’s a lot of useful information here that will help you understand things that most divers just don’t think about: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/485101-diving-seamanship.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom