Some cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozwald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all

Looking for some input on "the place to dive" on the west coast. I have read some good things about Ogden Point. I don't care what it takes to get there and yes, I do dive dry so temperature is not an issue. I prefer wreck to reef but won't say no to any of it. Looking for sometime in July/August and hopefully a place that has accommodations on site or very close by.

Any rec's would be extremely appreciated.

There are a couple nice wrecks in close proximity out of Nanaimo, along with plenty of other great sites, so thats a good option. Also lots of good diving in the Victoria area, you could do both pretty easily in one trip (not one day however).

The Sunshine coast also has lots of good diving.

And although I've never been, some of the best cold water diving is supposed to be found here: God's Pocket Resort : Scuba Diving & Kayaking.

If wrecks are your interest then Naniamo would be my first choice. Lots of places to stay nearby, 3 wrecks - all artificial reefs within about a 10 - 15 minute boat ride from the city. Other local dives that are good. A fourth artificial reef, a plane, not too far away if you are interested. Have not dived the plane.

Would second Browning Pass (Gods Pocket Resort is the most comfortable but not the only way to dive this pass) as the place to dive on the west coast however. I believe there is only one wreck in the area (I have only been on one) and the diving is incredible. Scenery above water is spectacular, the diving is head and shoulders above pretty much every other spot on the west coast. the life on the walls is so abundant that you can't even see the rocks. On the surface whales, sea lions, dolphins, eagles etc... are common.

Ogden Point is a good beginner/tune up dive. A marine park, lots of life and an easy entry shore dive in Victoria. Only down side is that if you want to get to the very best spots on the breakwater it is a bit of a hike or swim. Vis in July can be marginal August would be better.

Another option that is pretty spectacular July/August would be Rendevous Lodge in Barkley Sound. I only recall diving one wreck - there may be more. (I prefer reefs so wrecks are not important to me)

Another option that has some spectacular walls would be Seymore Narrows between Campbell River and Quadra Island. Heavy current sites so lots of life. There is an artificial reef nearby that can be dived when currents are too strong in the narrows.

Another option that is a really nice place to stay would be Andy Lamb's place on Thetis Island. More sheltered diving and a really nic place to stay. Have not done this one, but pretty much every summer we spend some time anchored nearby.

I HAVE been to Browning Pass, and stayed at both resorts there, and I'd say that, if money is no object and you are coming all the way to the West Coast for spectacular diving, go to God's Pocket. The place itself is extremely comfortable and the food is fantastic. The scenery is breath-taking. The dive op is organized and efficient, and the boat has an ELEVATOR! Only one rather deteriorated wreck, but the huge walls covered in color make up for it.

HERE is my husband's album of photographs, and HERE is another from my other dive buddy.

If you have money and time, go to Browning Pass, but they are not wreck dives. If less money, dive Campbell River/Quadra Island with Bill Coltart.
Closer, is Nanaimo, dive the Breton and Saskatchewan, love these 2 wrecks. In Victoria, you can dive the Mckenzie and the Church.

Lots of choices on Vancouver Island ... and Ogden Point would be way down the list for me.

Browning Pass (aka Pt. Hardy) would be my first choice ... because the diving there is awesome. But it's not wrecks. Besides God's Pocket, the Browning Pass Hideaway is very close to the dive sites. It's undergone some recent renovations and is a much nicer place to stay than it was a couple years ago.

Nanaimo is a great choice if wrecks are what you want ... they have the most, and they're convenient. The Buccaneer is a very diver-friendly motel right close to where the boats go out, and there's some pretty good places to eat within walking distance.

Quadra Island/Campbell River would be high on the list of places to go ... great wall diving, and one artificial reef/wreck within close proximity. I'm not nutz about the available dive charters, that that's more a personal call than anything. The diving's incredible.

Barkley Sound ... Rendezvous Lodge ... fantastic pinnacle dives, some really nice reefs, very isolated, and if you can make it out to the Vanlene, a fantastic wreck that is a real wreck rather than an artificial one.

Nootka Sound ... Tatsha Dive Charters ... one of my favorite VanIsle dive destinations ... great diving and affordable lodging in a small, isolated village. Your time frame might not work out well, in that you'll be competing with a LOT of fishermen for town resources, and probably for space on the best dive sites.

Over on the mainland, Sechelt Inlet ... Porpoise Bay Dive Charters ... fantastic dive op, great diving known for some of the best vis in the Pacific Northwest, and the Chaudierre ... another artificial reef/wreck.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I'd recommend researching what each has to offer, check for availability (July/August is a popular time, so some are probably already booked) and make your reservations ... sooner is better than later ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lots of choices on Vancouver Island ... and Ogden Point would be way down the list for me.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Completely agree and should have included that. the only reason to do this dive is if you fly in to Victoria and feel the need to do a really simple tune up dive before going out to more remote sites. It is where everyone in Victoria does their OW dives so it is easy. (at least I think this is were all classes do OW dives - it has been a while since OW)

Ogden point Dive center does all their OW on the breakwater unless the weather has something to say about it. I know Frank Whites's dive Center and the U Vic Scuba club (which also do OW) does a couple of dives there and then usually try to head somewhere else. If your up for the walk going out past flag 3 on the breakwater gets you out of the OW terrain and gets you down where the octo's and wolf eels tend to hand out.

The Uof Vic Scuba club got back from Rendezvous Lodge from doing a run upto it in feb. The Diving was great and our hosts were wonderful. But a word of caution they tend to get books up pretty fast and i know in august is when they do the 6 gill shark count in the waters there. So with Rendezvous Lodge I hear people during prime time should try to book a year in advance, but as was said thats pretty much the norm for all the dive resorts in vanc island.

Another great wall dive up near Nanimo is Madrona Point a really nice wall dive. We were up there on Sunday and holy hell was the vis good(50ft straight down) and had a bunch of sea lions in the area (8-10) though none came to visit.

Back
Top Bottom