Some help on the science of scuba needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I have (at ridiculously short notice) been asked to put together a display at my kids school on the science of scuba... yeah science week. As my DM training was 15 years ago my memory is scratchy. Does anyone have any ideas for demos or things that may catch a kids fancy and spark an interest?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Alastair

Those water torpedos.

great question......
found this on youtube......

Please, please, PU-LEASE post pictures of what you come up with. I really want to see what you come up with. A fun thing for kids is for them to see how long they can hold their breath. Put in some stuff about the first rule of Scuba: Never Hold Your Breath! Add in some funny pics of your kid with their cheeks all puffed out.

Last edited:
Those are great videos

What age kids are we teaching?

Hi

I have (at ridiculously short notice) been asked to put together a display at my kids school on the science of scuba... yeah science week. As my DM training was 15 years ago my memory is scratchy. Does anyone have any ideas for demos or things that may catch a kids fancy and spark an interest?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Alastair
I do career days in public schools and I have found that simply bringing a tank, BCD, reg and wetsuit are all I need to get a great discussion going. I talk first about our need to sink so we put on a 45 pound tank on our back. That takes us down (gravity). Now we need to float so the BCD was created. By orally inflating and deflating the BCD they students get the idea as to how the air will compensate for the weight. Then I discuss the need to breathe. I use a 12" cube box (you can get them at UPS store or Staples) and explain that 80 of these filled with air are in the tank. I turn on the pressure (without the reg attached) so they hear the hissing and understand the intense pressure in the tank. Then I hook up the reg and show how the reg regulates the air so that high pressure goes to my BCD and gauges and low pressure comes to my mouth so I can breathe. Hope this all helps.

Back
Top Bottom