Some LOBs require a minimum # of logged dives, but I don't have a log book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GR8FUL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been doing a lot of online research trying to decide where/when to go diving next, and I noticed that some LOBs require divers to have a minimum number of logged dives. I lost my first log book 25+ years ago, and since then I've never bothered with keeping a log book.

Since I can't prove I've got more than the minimum # of dives a LOB requires, how likely is it that this will cause me a problem? Worst case scenario they require me to do a "check out" dive?

If you have a dive computer with logged dives some places will accept that

Also on most LOB's that I've been on with a minimum number of dives no one really bothered checking.

+1 for showing logged dives on your computer. I've never seen anyone asked to provide proof other than a cert card on any LOB.

Just contact them before you book and ask them. That way you ensure that you are not up for an unwelcome surprise.

I’ve never had a LOB (or anyone really) want to check a log. I think in the case of LOBs it may often be more of a guideline for potential passengers to help decide if they are prepared for a trip and send a message that you shouldn’t have just finished OW last week. If they give a number and you are concerned about this, contact them and check.

Some places require a checkout or whatever if you haven’t been diving for x amount of time, but that seems pretty much honor system. Some places have everyone do a checkout dive, even if it is not obvious they are doing it. Thing about logs is, anyone could make one up. So for purposes of proof they don’t mean much, and everyone knows that. Any op that doesn’t know you is going to watch you in the beginning, both above and below water, and make their own judgement if they need to keep an eye on you.

My log is very minimal at this point, a simple spreadsheet accessible online that often just lists each trip and number of dives. It’s often years behind on actual individual dives because I tend to jot things down on a scrap of paper, or maybe have a listing from the op, and they get misplaced for awhile. The listing of where I was and when is actually the part most useful to me. You might be able to reconstruct something like that from memory, old emails, etc if you would feel better having something.

Does your certification level happen to require enough dives to meet their minimum?

ah-ha, didn't think about that! Yes, I'm AOW & Nitrox, so perhaps that alone would resolve the problem.

I assumed what others have confirmed--i.e., no one ever checks log books--but obviously it would suck to fly to some far-flung destination and then have this become an issue.

As to suggestions to show them my dive computer....yea, I don't have one one of those either (have borrowed, rented, or gone w/out for last several years) though I do plan on buying one before next big trip. Which actually brings up another question: with the dive computers being so common, I wonder what percentage of divers even bother keeping up with log books anymore? I'm guessing a far fewer than did 20+ years ago...

..Since I can't prove I've got more than the minimum # of dives a LOB requires, how likely is it that this will cause me a problem? ....
Almost every captain will just quietly look at your gear after it's setup and decide if you are new or experienced. If your fins, gloves and wetsuit are all new and shiny with out any scratches (bonus points for leaving the tags still on) then he's going to tell the DM to keep a tight watch on you. If you are diving bullet proof regs, BPW's, kevlar palm gloves, fins so scratched up you can barely make out the logo,,,,,The capt probably figures you won't panic and drown underwater.

Hi @GR8FUL

You can be AOW/nitrox with 9 training dives :)

I've never been asked to provide a log to document number of dives, this includes liveaboards in the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, and Revillagigedos. Many liveaboards have a easier/check out dive at the beginning of the trip. I've never thought I was even casually, being watched. I think the main reason for this dive is as a weight check, sometimes divers are using exposure protection or other gear they are not very familiar with. I suppose that if someone had a lot of trouble on this dive, it would be noted.

I agree with other comments. I would simply be very straight with the operator. I, GR8FUL, have been diving for 25 years, I have 200-499 dives (per your profile, I have about X dives in the last year and my last dives were on these dates. In addition, I am AOW. There certainly would be no harm in doing the checkout dive with the rest of the group.

I did not log my dives for the 1st 10 years I dived, it was not so common back then. I have logged all of my dives since 1997. I have them all in paper log and have the last 9 years downloaded from my computer. It would not hurt you to start keeping a log now to deal with situations as you have described. I would start a new log at your best estimate for your number of dives, and go from their. You can also download them from your computer, when you obtain it.

Best of luck in your diving. Where are you in Florida? I do quite a bit of my diving in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm

I've been doing a lot of online research trying to decide where/when to go diving next, and I noticed that some LOBs require divers to have a minimum number of logged dives.
I've never heard of this. They may ask on some form, but I've never seen a requirement to meet a minimum.
Which liveaboard was this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom