Problems with LDS sod can’t 2 pool/check out dives but got Padi cert from them: will not having those 4 dives logged ever be problem in the future?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For clarification. I received my PADI E Card for certification. I completed all the 4 dives. 2 pool session and 2 check out. But I haven’t logged them or gotten them signed yet. I’m wondering if this will affect me as the problems I have with the shop won’t sign off on those dives if and when I log them in my book or on the Padi app.
There is absolutely nothing stopping you from logging those dives. The card shows that you did them.
Be diligent about logging and verifying the next 25-50, complete AOW, then stop logging (Or let your computer do the work) like nearly everybody else.

'Logged dives' is a fairly arbitrary threshold put up as a justification barrier - but really - nearly everyone you will deal with is using other factors to assess whether you are adequately skilled for any particular progression. Just do more dives - you'll be good in the end.

Yea it is. Thanks for pointing that out. Just didn’t want to make this a drama post. But I had to disconnect from them after now it seems like several of the dms also share this view.
As I and many others wrote, there is no need that the shop signs your dives in your dive log. Just record the dives yourself.
A dive log has really no probatory value, most people keep it just for remembering their dives.
I have never seen people worrying for missing signatures on the dive log.
In many places people just dive on their own, there is no dive shop involved...
So, it appears that you are overthinking it.
You are creating a problem which does not exist...

For clarification. I received my PADI E Card for certification. I completed all the 4 dives. 2 pool session and 2 check out. But I haven’t logged them or gotten them signed yet. I’m wondering if this will affect me as the problems I have with the shop won’t sign off on those dives if and when I log them in my book or on the Padi app.
Nothing to worry about. Logging is optional. If you have the eCard and want a plastic card to just carry, order from PADI direct. No reason to ever darken the door of the shop again. Everything turns on the OW cert - not a log book.

Find somewhere else - even a shop with a different agency if you wish. Complete the equivalent of AOW (which is actually just the get-more-diving-experience and see some other aspects of diving that you didn't see in the dog-and-pony trick show that is basic OW) portion of a **full** OW cert, IMNSHO).

As you move up, nobody will ever really ask to see a logbook unless you need to show 50 logged dives to get your MSD card (if you want it) or your Solo diver cert after 100 or 40 to start DM/60 to finish DM cert.... Maybe some other higher certs (certain time/number of dives below 100 for some TEC/DECO classes). Or if you don't do, say, deep diver, but you have completed and logged several dives to 130 ft/40M so you can demonstrate you have experience and competency in deeper dives at a future date (like if you had to show an insurance company what you were doing if you got injured was NOT outside your training/experinece.

But the log is something you keep for yourself. Nobody cares if your instructor signed off on it. They signed off on the certification and that's all that counts.

A lot of folks (and agencies) put WAY too much emphasis on logging. Lots of times, folks come out of their initial training thinking it is something important that they must keep up with or suffer the wrath of the scuba police.

The only log I have is what resides in the memory of a Shearwater computer. No reference anywhere of the the first 4 OW "dives" done in training written down anywhere.

I suppose it is worth adding that, while I (and others) scoff at 'log books' in the PADI sense, it is extremely valuable to keep computer logs particularly if you have air intergration and can monitor progress in better air usage.

I also log each dive location and track that into the computer logs (in my case Shearwater). And, in my calendar (for easy checking), I log thermal protection and weight configuration (and BCD if different from my usual) each time I try something new. Being able to look back at a previous weight configuration makes life so much easier if you travel to a lot of different environments.

Also - there are the 'fish people' who log what creatures they see. Not for me, but also a practical use of logging.

So, logging is not useless. But, make it work for your needs.

And, when you encounter people who use it as a proxy for competency. There's usually a workaround.

There are courses with PADI, SSI and BSAC that require a certain number of logged dives before you can enroll on the course. Every dive centre I have dived a also required that you have a logged dive within the previous 6 months or you have to do a refresher course. This 6 month rule is maybe mainly just a money grabbing scam but it is the way things are done.

There are courses with PADI, SSI and BSAC that require a certain number of logged dives before you can enroll on the course. Every dive centre I have dived a also required that you have a logged dive within the previous 6 months or you have to do a refresher course. This 6 month rule is maybe mainly just a money grabbing scam but it is the way things are done.
I actually think the 'refresher' thing for lack of recent dives is one of the more reasonable asks. I'd put the threshold at 18 months or more = single dive with a guide or other skilled person; 3 years or more as a proper refresher. Add some flexibility for those with extensive lifetime experience. I had a big gap in my diving - I was happy to sign up for a refresher when getting back into it.

Many places have an 'ask' for a certain number of dives but I've found most are pretty flexible as to how that is proved/judged. I've just been sending my Shearwater database file lately - no one has asked for more... and I doubt the bother to open it. Even for those who haven't been able to show formal evidence on liveaboards it has been more of a 'we'll watch you closely on the check dive and if you know what you're doing all is good'.

I'm sure there are examples everywhere of less flexible people/organizations - but they tend to go out of business pretty fast.

I've only seen a one year rule and never a six month rule posted by dive ops, but that does not mean the 6 month rule doesn't exist. Perhaps this is regional. Many ops simply require that a diver who has not been on a dive in 12+ months book a guide on the first day. Not too big of an ask IMHO.

I am still a bit confused if the OP has their OW cert or not. They said they have their "E Card" but I am not sure if that is a typo or just the e-learning. I hope this resolves for you. Put the dives in your log even if the shop doesn't sign them. Very few of the dives in my hand-written log are stamped or signed. I cannot recall the last time a dive op asked to see my dive log. They ask for cert cards for sure, but not a log.

There are reasons to know how many dives you've done. For example, some operators want to have only people with x number of dives on certain boat trips, or x number of cold water dives, or some such thing. You need at least 100 dives to take a solo class, and you might have to show proof. But, it's a little anal to expect that you're breaking some important standard if you don't have someone's else's signature on a dive log. Especially given that for people who do log, so many of them do it electronically.

Back
Top Bottom