Some of my first photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thewalrus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Starting in September, I've been back into diving. It didn't take much longer for me to start taking a camera under the waves off of Vancouver Island. There are only the ones I think are worth posting - but there are lots of bad ones on my computer too...

Anyway - tips, tricks, thoughts - all welcome.

What camera, housing, lighting are you using? Looks like 1 strobe? I have been shooting with one and using 2 video lights to fill in. It would have helped with the lighting of the Urchins. When shooting some of the Nudibranch like the White Lined Dirona, I turn down the exposure 2 or 3 clicks and that helps a lot.

What camera, housing, lighting are you using? Looks like 1 strobe? I have been shooting with one and using 2 video lights to fill in. It would have helped with the lighting of the Urchins. When shooting some of the Nudibranch like the White Lined Dirona, I turn down the exposure 2 or 3 clicks and that helps a lot.

Cool - thanks! I should have mentioned what I shoot with.

The first anemone, the urchin, ling cod, and second anemone were all shot with a point and shoot in an Ikelite underwater housing. No external lights - just the internal flash. Hence the very limited lighting on the left side of the pictures. It's a pretty old rig - and I'm thinking about replacing it with something a bit more modern...

The others were all shot with the same point and shoot, but using a better external light - my recently picked up Sola 1200. Using it in flood mode, obviously. So no strobe - and I don't think, with my current camera, I'd even be able to sync to an external flash or strobe of any sort, sadly. Also, because it's a point and shoot, with fairly limited manual capacity, I'm hoping I can adjust exposure for the nudibranches. I'll have to check it out on Sunday's upcoming dive. I'd love to get a great shot of one - but, that one, so far, is the best I've managed.

Looks like page 57 in the manual for a Nikon L26 has instructions for the exposure compensation, button 7 in the Ikelite instructions. That may help you. Keep shooting and shooting and trying different settings, best way to learn.

those photos are not all black or all white (joke)...so i think they are great ....thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom