Some of the things that make Seahunt fun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a ton. I have not seen it since I was a kid. Just watched first episode. Sweet!

When you think about it, it's surprising that they even made Seahunt.

As exciting and fun as it is to go diving, from a TV series perspective, there's just not enough going on down there to come up with coherent story lines week after week after week. That's really one of the humorous things about Seahunt. They just kept inventing stuff regardless of how far fetched or strange it sounded. Diving counterfeiters? Female astronaut divers? Sure, why not?

Back then the audience was much more simple and on top of that nobody in the audience even dove. The writers could do anything they wanted and nobody would know the difference, except for an extremely small group and most of them were the ones making Sea Hunt! At least probably in LA.

It's easy now to rip apart Sea Hunt because diving has come such a long way and so many more people are into it, even though the percentages of divers in the whole is still very small.
For me to enjoy seahunt I have to look at the story line and the fantasy they were trying to enchant you with. For instance, in one episode a group tries to free an inmate from Alcatraz Island and it shows clear Silver Springs water as SF bay water. Well we all know that's ubsurd, but you have to forget all that and just enjoy the historical aspects of the time and where this country was in the late 50's.
If you concentrate on the inaccurate technicalities it loses much of it's enchantment and it will ruin it.

And I think the women were hot.

I like the explosion episode, they are at seymour narrows, ripple rock. they call it killer rock, they blew it up to have cruise ships go to alaska. They were in very little current, no hood or gloves in cold waters, found a cave. Mike says a good diver can hold his breath for a long period, and at the end an electric eel was nibbling on det wire, mike holds his breath and kills it.

They put model ships on the bottom as if they were real ships lying on the sea floor everywhere from hitting the hidden rock. There reason was it killed to many people and sank ships.

The shot of blowing up ripple rock was the live vidoe when they blew it up from back then.

Happy Diving

I think they need to make the movie "Sea Hunt".
A full length modern action thriller. All modern high tech gear, sensational situations, lot's of explosions and underwater action, killing those enemy terrorist divers that are trying to kill us.
They could cast Jeff Bridges as the son of Mike Nelson to continue the legacy.

The shot of blowing up ripple rock was the live vidoe when they blew it up from back then.

There was an episode I watched a while ago about a drifting Japanese sea mine lost during the war. The plot involved it being swept by currents into the harbor of a Mexican port city. The mine shown in the episode looked pretty dodgy, but at the end the US Navy arrives to pick it up and defuse it and they show some genuine footage of Sailors removing a mine from the water. You can easily see the difference.

A full length modern action thriller. All modern high tech gear, sensational situations, lot's of explosions and underwater action, killing those enemy terrorist divers that are trying to kill us.

Not modern gear, but it would be hard to top "Thunderball".

They could cast Jeff Bridges as the son of Mike Nelson to continue the legacy.

Diving with modern single hose regs would make it much more "interesting" if they cut the hose.

It seems we can't make any diving shows at all.

Watch mine, watch mine. Oh, wait... it doesn't really focus on divers... just the marine life they see underwater.

5) The obvious stunt double switches. It's always amusing how the old overweight diver suddenly transforms into an athletic 20 something as soon as he submerges.

No, that really happens. It's why I look so good underwater. It works kinda like transubstantiation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom