Some of the things that make Seahunt fun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too, grew up watching Sea Hunt. Like farsidefan, I was mesmerized by every episode and knew that one day I'd be like Mike...

Fast forward to the late-70's and I found myself on Grand Cayman Island, staying at the "Rum Ritz" (Rum Point Club). Bruce Parker, the owner of the establishment, was a stunt double for the Sea Hunt series. After dinners cooked by Miss Phylis, we'd sit in the bar area and Bruce would show (and narrate) episodes of Sea Hunt. What a trip!

The Rum Ritz has long since closed, but that trip remains one of the most memorable in 40+ years of diving.

My LDS just got in a big oval mask, the same as we used to wear back in the day. The "latest thing" I guess. I was tempted to buy it but four masks is plenty.

I don't think so :D

I just watched every Sea Hunt episode on hulu.com and enjoyed every one. I can't wait to start watching re-runs.
In episode #5 "The Sea Sled" Where do I find the plans to build one?

Why, page 171 of "Dive" by Rick and Barbara Carrier (1955) of course.

Picture2004-17.jpg

So let me get this straight...When we were kids we used to watch Sea Hunt and dream of diving, and now that we're grown up we go diving and dream about watching Sea Hunt!!:D

They could cast Jeff Bridges as the son of Mike Nelson to continue the legacy.

Probably Jeff's or Beau's kids would work better.

According to imdb.com, Lloyd was 45 when Sea Hunt started. Jeff is now 61 and Beau is 69.

Cynic in me says a remake would ruin it.
{The only remake that I can think off that improves on the original is the Bourne series of films. I mean really, Dr. Kildare as Jason Bourne ... how could the remake have been worse}

All of the photos that I see of Mike Nelson have him with an oval mask, but I seem to recall seeing a sequence with him putting on a triangular mask.

False memory?

If not, what was the triangular mask for?

All of the photos that I see of Mike Nelson have him with an oval mask, but I seem to recall seeing a sequence with him putting on a triangular mask.

False memory?

If not, what was the triangular mask for?

You mean the one that he's putting on in the beginning screen title sequence of every show? That's a full face surface supplied unit of the day. Details of what it is I don't know, but I'll bet somebody else here does.

It is a “Jack Browne” mask. You can still buy a new one from Desco.

There have been several options, such as demand regulator on the right side to just a simple control valve.

The "Jack Browne" Full Face Mask was designed for use by the U.S. Navy during World War II. It served reliably to the mid-1980's. After WWII it found acceptance in the commercial market on dives where surface supply air was necessary but heavy gear was not needed. The DESCO Full Face Mask still fills this need today in a dependable and cost effective manner.

See the links below.

https://www.divedesco.com/catalog/p...d=108&osCsid=10aa60251b2d70ccdc0710b58999ae55

https://www.divedesco.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=10aa60251b2d70ccdc0710b58999ae55

DESCO Masks

Here I am using a Jack Browne mask with the demand regulator on the right side.

DSCN2463.jpg

This one has the check valve and the control flow valve.

59069C.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to say some of the same things Luis did, but he beat me to it. The only thing I have to add is that somewhere deep down in my reserve memory I think DESCO stands for Diver's Equipment Supply Company. Can anyone verify that?

SeaRat

Necklinsberg:
All of the photos that I see of Mike Nelson have him with an oval mask, but I seem to recall
seeing a sequence with him putting on a triangular mask.

He used it in the aquarium at the beginning of the first episode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom