Some of the things that make Seahunt fun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't watch the hulu vids, so I downloaded the first season.
I was in a boy's club that taught scuba in those days, though only in a pool. Mike Nelson was a god to this 14 year old kid and i believed everything the show said.
It's a hoot to see how things have changed, like seeing guys plummet to the bottom w/ doubles and no bcd, landing on their feet in the coral, arms waving like mad as they tried to keep level.
The thing is, that for the most part, that was what was known about diving in those days and SH was the most accurate depiction there was out there....
Anyway, I'm having a ball going down memory lane

Thinking about it, the only modern show with scuba I've seen is CSI Miami. The character Eric dives for the PD to recover evidence. He uses a big oval mask. I wonder if they do that for retro effect?
I've also seen dangling octos and gauges clanging and banging into everything, drives me nuts!
Somebody needs to contact the stunt department for the show and get the stunt diver to start using a double hose if they want "retro effect".
I wonder if the 98% of the non diving public would even know the difference?

ZKY,

I like your idea of a modern Seahunt with cutting edge experimental gear. I'm not sure that you could recreate the old one. To me a big part of it's appeal was the dime novel adventure feel it had. Not many shows manage to pull that off and the ones that can are getting rarer and rarer. The A-Team comes to mind.

Maybe a documentary/reality show instead? It worked for Jacques Cousteau after all. Every week it could feature some sort of extreme diving, wreck or cave penetration, experimental gear, deep diving in JIM suits, ice diving, dangerous animal encounters, etc...

It's funny how when scuba is portrayed in an advertisement it is often a double hose regulator being used, even today. I've seen a television commercial (I think Dan loaned some gear for that one) and cartoons like modern Scooby-Doos and such that show double hose regulators more often than not. I would never have been aware of it if I wasn't into vintage diving gear.

I was very young and loved every episode. Living in land locked Utah it seemed very exotic to me. Oh, and now I'm hooked again. I'll work my way through all the episodes. One of the things you have to respect is the difficulty of working on and under the water as much as they do. When filming Jaw's Spielburg said the variables of filming on water were horrific. For it's day it was an amazing accomplisment.

Thinking about it, the only modern show with scuba I've seen is CSI Miami. The character Eric dives for the PD to recover evidence. He uses a big oval mask. I wonder if they do that for retro effect?
I've also seen dangling octos and gauges clanging and banging into everything, drives me nuts!
Somebody needs to contact the stunt department for the show and get the stunt diver to start using a double hose if they want "retro effect".
I wonder if the 98% of the non diving public would even know the difference?
My LDS just got in a big oval mask, the same as we used to wear back in the day. The "latest thing" I guess. I was tempted to buy it but four masks is plenty.

It's funny how when scuba is portrayed in an advertisement it is often a double hose regulator being used, even today. I've seen a television commercial (I think Dan loaned some gear for that one) and cartoons like modern Scooby-Doos and such that show double hose regulators more often than not. I would never have been aware of it if I wasn't into vintage diving gear.
When single hose regs came along, I thought they were really wussy! I mean Mike Nelson didn't use one. Besides the double hoses look soooo cool...even now:cool2:

I do beach dives solo with my double hose and oval mask up in my area. Many times there are tourists/ beachcombers standing watching and they will come up and ask what I see and if the diving is any good etc. They never comment about the vintage gear. I assume they just don't know and see the tank, hoses, mask, and just see a classic "scuba diver".

Contrast that with when I first started diving and was using a Seaquest Black Diamond, modern SP MK20/G250, Air II, and every dangly, retracting dingle ball you could think of. The comments I got from the same type people was "Wow, that's a lot of gear, do you really need all that just to dive here?"
I swear to god, that was an honest question from a non diving spectator.

I just watched every Sea Hunt episode on hulu.com and enjoyed every one. I can't wait to start watching re-runs.
In episode #5 "The Sea Sled" Where do I find the plans to build one?

Back
Top Bottom