Some solo thoughts about solo diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
If you're going to get defensive about the answers, perhaps you shouldn't ask the questions.....

I'm not being defensive, I'm offering reason behind why I want to do what I'm thinking about.

This is the internet, it's not like there's anything to get emotional about here. :)

peengers:
Hey, I'm not angry at all. I just wanted to point out that the use of a reel doesn't negate working on your basic navigational skills. If you're solid on navigation then a reel is a good idea.

I'm glad your not angry, I don't use a compass because I dive steel wrecks and some caves,( compass wouldn't help anyway) But when I did use one I thought of it as a watch,(hear me out before you flame) If you start your dive at three o clock(that's were the compass is pointing) for 10 min, then you return at 9 o clock for ten min. This way you dont have to do all the math in degrees. With a little practice this is a very easy method to use, Hope this helps.

novadiver:
If you start your dive at three o clock(that's were the compass is pointing) for 10 min, then you return at 9 o clock for ten min. This way you dont have to do all the math in degrees. With a little practice this is a very easy method to use, Hope this helps.

That's actually a pretty clever way of thinking about things. I might borrow that if you don't mind. :)

peengers:
Shallow pool, getting into and out of it. Not the same as doing it with a buddy but at least it reinforces most of the skill.

Hi
Good skill to practice, I couldn't resist poking a little fun. Sorry for that. I think when it's done alone, we call it doffing and donning your gear underwater.

And about the reciprocal course navigation, I don't know what the time telling activity is all about, why not use the reciprocal markers on the compass as they should be. Then you have the freedom of moving in directions that don't happen to coincide with 3 or 9 oclock...

novadiver:
I'm glad your not angry, I don't use a compass because I dive steel wrecks and some caves,( compass wouldn't help anyway) But when I did use one I thought of it as a watch,(hear me out before you flame) If you start your dive at three o clock(that's were the compass is pointing) for 10 min, then you return at 9 o clock for ten min. This way you dont have to do all the math in degrees. With a little practice this is a very easy method to use, Hope this helps.

You don't carry a compass in a cave? I do. Always.

Aside from the fact that it's hard to survey without one, keeping track of the direction the line is going gives you a good isea which direction to search in should you loose it.

Oh, and to the 3 oclock/9 oclock thing, there isn't any math required ever if your just doing an out and back.

MikeFerrara:
You don't carry a compass in a cave? I do. Always.

Aside from the fact that it's hard to survey without one, keeping track of the direction the line is going gives you a good isea which direction to search in should you loose it.

Oh, and to the 3 oclock/9 oclock thing, there isn't any math required ever if your just doing an out and back.

No compass in a cave for me. just cookies, arrows and a clothes pin. any trouble and I'm back on the line and relaxing . The flow knows were it goes.:profile:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom