Some unknowns from Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just back from Cancun and have a few things I need help identifying.

1)
IMG_0795.jpg

2)
IMG_0807.jpg

3) This one is so cool - it was only about 3 inches long and looks like a lobster from New England!
IMG_0942.jpg

4)
IMG_1017.jpg

Thanks!

Just back from Cancun and have a few things I need help identifying.

1)
IMG_0795.jpg

This first one is a Helmet Conch. In some places it's called a queen conch, but that's more of a local terminology. I've seen them from plain brown colorings, to majestic looking deep purples. Very beautiful shells.

They can be difficult to spot because a lot of times they are completely buried in the sand with only the tip of their shell sticking out. I've found a few smaller (palm size) ones on top of the sand, but every large one I've ever found has been buried.

Horned Helmet...[video]http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1921586652101&comments[/video]

It was eating a Collector Urchin. And yes, we did put it a little closer to the Horned Helmet. A Triton's Trumpet will eat a Crown of Thorns, unfortunately both of these have been over collected to the point that it's not a guarantee that you'll see either one. On average we see ten to fifteen Horned Helmets for every one Tritons Trumpet. Aloha, Rick

I agree that the first one is a helmet conch.

I believe the second one is a mustard hill coral (Porites astreoides) with an encrusting sponge underneath (possibly Mycale laevis).

I can't help with the shrimp or the lacey pink thing.

I believe #3 is a copper lobster.

Back
Top Bottom