Someone talk me into this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN is right on the money with his reply. He summed it up nicely.

If you can fly to Fiji for the same amount, then the decision for me would be a no-brainer!

CODMAN is right on the money with his reply. He summed it up nicely.

If you can fly to Fiji for the same amount, then the decision for me would be a no-brainer!

It's not actually between Fiji and Roatan...it was merely a comparison and a point I was making.

I was just in Fiji 6 months ago...loved it and I WILL go back...just not this year.

It's not actually between Fiji and Roatan...it was merely a comparison and a point I was making.

I was just in Fiji 6 months ago...loved it and I WILL go back...just not this year.

I gotcha!

But I do think all in all you can better destinations for your money without the sandflies. Go to Bonaire.

Christi,

Can you fly from Cancun to Roatan? It seems that TACA direct flights from there. While not as convenient as you would have to get the ferry and what not to Cancun, the airfare is about $463 right now.

I used Cutter Advanced with Picaridin in the pump spray last November at CCV, it was very effective against the sand flies (not fleas LOL!) and wasn't smelly or greasy and didn't react with leather/neoprene/rubber like DEET. Other people tried the cactus juice with various amounts of success, I tried it for one afternoon and went the Picaridin for the rest of the week. I may be returning to CCV in March. If I do the only thing I'd change is to bring the larger 6 oz. bottles of the pump spray to share.

I really enjoyed the "drop off"* dives twice a day at Newman's Wall in the morning and CCV Wall in the afternoon (has to do with the angle of the sun). Nice, relaxing, self-paced wall dives. You finish up at the Prince Albert and then go through "the cut" through the eel grass which puts your back to the clubhouse and a short walk back to the lockers by the dock. There is a decent amount of night life on the Prince Albert, which as a night dive is done as a shore dive. The photographers went back night after night. There was also one night dive done as a boat dive (at Minagerhea's Reef, IIRC) for a few extra bucks.

A couple of people on our boat mostly did the boat dives. Not me. I went to "dive my brains out" so I did every available dive and wasn't disappointed! It really is the epitome of a dive operation first and foremost, and everything else revolves around that. That's why people go back time after time after time and its why I'll be going back.

* "The drop off?!? Why don't we just fry them up and serve them with chips?!?"

1. Sand fleas - I have heard horror stories about them...and quite frankly...they are a deal breaker for me at this point. I am not willing to put 100% DEET on my skin and I hate the idea of having to walk around constantly spraying chemicals on my skin to keep them away...that's not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

4. The idea of getting "dropped off" for the second dive and swimming back in on the same reef everyday sounds tedious and boring...after the first day or two. I'm not sure I understand how this is a GOOD thing. Why not do two dives out on the reef, and then drop the divers off for a third tank if they opt? I'm not in any way trying to say how they should run the operation...I'm just wondering about the WHY behind this. I've never been there, so I need some clarification here.

OTOH, this might be the best reason of all:

Some of my dearest friends have a trip planned to CocoView this June.

:D

I used Cutter Advanced with Picaridin in the pump spray last November at CCV, it was very effective against the sand flies (not fleas LOL!) and wasn't smelly or greasy and didn't react with leather/neoprene/rubber like DEET. Other people tried the cactus juice with various amounts of success, I tried it for one afternoon and went the Picaridin for the rest of the week. I may be returning to CCV in March. If I do the only thing I'd change is to bring the larger 6 oz. bottles of the pump spray to share.

THIS IS ALSO WHAT I USE IF I USE ANYTHING...I NEVER HAVE MORE THAN A FEW BITES AND I HARDLY NOTICE THEM

OTOH, this might be the best reason of all:
:DQuote:
Originally Posted by Christi
Some of my dearest friends have a trip planned to CocoView this June.

John I think you have summed it up best of all...

Christi is a wonderful friend and we hope she goes with us...but we also understand her money and time are valuable like ours and I think her concerns are well founded...she is an excellant photog and I know CCV is macro heaven and I don't think she will even get one sand fly bite cuz she will be spending all her time underwater :wink:

Last edited:
Off Deep Woods is 30% DEET and keeps the bugs from biting. As for getting to Roatan, there has to be another way without going back to IAH. How about going through Belize City overland via Playa?

Yes, I must admit I did overlook the "spending time with dear friends" component! And that is priceless!!!!:coffee:

Good luck making your decision Christi!:coffee:

Hello Christi, here is my two cents on your quandry. I also hate to use DEET, and have found Avon Skin so Soft works well for sandfleas. I have encountered them in the Bay Islands but never thought they were too big an anoyance. Long pants in the evening and after it rains seems to keep them off of me.

I have been diving in both Coz (3 trips) and once at FIBR directly across from Coco View. I was pleasantly surprised by the diving off Roatan. Spectacular topography and small stuff. Healthy Corals as well. If you go dont miss the Shark dive at Las Palmas, really well done. One night dive we did on the Coco view house wreck was spectacular with tarpon and jacks feeding.

There must be a better airfare from the Yucatan to Roatan, you might look at flights through San Pedro Sula and or La Ceba. Hope this helps.

Hello Christi,

From guests here at CCV, I have just become aware of insectshield which is clothing impregnated with premethrin.

Insect Shield - Repellent Technology - Insect repellent you'll love to wear

"Permethrin is a man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in certain chrysanthemum plants. The Insect Shield process binds a proprietary permethrin formula tightly to fabric fibersÍÓesulting in effective, odorless insect protection that lasts beyond the expected lifetime of apparel. Permethrin has been successfully used in the United States as an U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered product since 1977, with an excellent safety record. It is used in lice shampoos for children, flea dips for dogs, and various other products, some of which are regulated by the FDA."

Clothing impregnated with it, appears to be effective in repelling, sand flies or no-see-ums.

Regarding getting from CZM to RTB: Many years ago, I took the bus from Puerto Morelos to Chetumal, then walked across the border to Belize; clearing immigration there.

Then I caught a bus to Belize City and flew BZE>SAP>LCE>RTB.

I did a cursory check on the TACA website and RT airfare BZE>SAP was US$241.00. From SPS, you a couple of options:

1. you can bus it to LCE and take the ferry to RTB

or

2. you can fly SAP>LCE>RTB

Debbie (debbie@roatan.com) at Roatan Charters airdesk can help you with the air.

Hope this helps you out some.

Sincerely,

Doc Radawski

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom