Something special at Something Special !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!
Something Special is one of my favorite dives on Bonaire, almost always interesting macro and small critters in all the nooks and crannies.
Manta sighting is unique.
I don't remember Something Special. I did, however, order a new version of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy and will look forward to some new sites. Where is this located?

Something Special is located just south and the northern marina. The shore access is VERY limited because all the shore is privately owned homes. We dove SS off a boat from Buddy's.

BTW, I was told that the site got its name from all the "Something Special" whiskey bottles recovered during a cleanup. Years ago it was either here or Bonaire Talk that it was posted that an unexploded artillery shell was located there. SS did have a lot of human junk on the reef.

Something Special is actually easily accessible by shore, just not at the buoy. the shore entrance is 200m or so North of Dive Friends Yellow Sub, where the road ends at an apartment complex. Easy entrance over coral rubble beach. Plenty of parking near (if not at) the shore entrance. Buoy sits near the harbour, shore entrance is south of that. In my opinion, interesting part is between the buoy and the shore entrance.

Great to know. The crew from Buddy's anchored just south of the channel. When I asked, they said there was an access problem. I always thought that it had the potential to be an excellent night dive due to the varied junk on the bottom.

SS is a wonderful dive and super easy from shore. Turn into the parking lot off of the main drag at Kaya Playa Lechi. Park, kit up and walk down the little lane to the beach. Once you are past the boats the reef begins. Go slooooww and start looking for small creatures such as frog fish and sea horses. The rubble and wreckage seems to attract all kinds of cool stuff.

Something Special is at the north end of the water front road, about 1 block north of Yellow Submarine. It's under the last 2 mooring buoys of the harbor. There's room for only a couple of trucks to park off the road. We dove it as a night dive and really enjoyed it. Easy entry, nice corals, saw a few morays and fire worms, and had about 5 Tarpon swarming us the whole time.

It is one of my favorite dives for ease of access, and I have a hunch we will be doing it more than once on our upcoming trip after this sighting.

Several years ago, Herman and I saw a Manta at the lakes dive site.
Only one I have ever seen on the Atlantic side of the planet!

We also saw a manta ray at Something Special back in February 2013.
Manta Ray.jpg

Wow, great shots. we loved that sight although didn't get to see the Manta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom