Sony DSC RX100 - new model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but with just camera and housing you will take worse pictures than a canon s100 with housing and strobe that costs just a bit less
To have a basic set up with a strobe and a plastic housing you are looking at 50% more for the rx100
If you don't intend to spend the extra money and spend all your budget for a camera and housing and have nothing left for the rest you will disappointed
The comparisons you see are land based underwater photography is much more than just the camera body

It was already 5cm in fact the lens is exactly the same as the previous version
As other large sensor camera once in water the Sony has trouble focusing at short distance so also this one will need diopters to work at less than 3"
So it is. So are the complaints about macro performance due to poor close focus rather than min. focus distance?

Yes. On land it does an ok job in water you need a close up lens. Not the end of the world but another $200 pretty much required
And even with a close up lens you need to use manual focus for best results. The peaking function is very effective
But this is not for everybody my panasonic lx7 gets focus automatically for the same shots even with +16 diopters

Not sure if you read my post above ... I don't intend getting a strobe ... I went that way, and it is not for me. Therefore the Camera in my case is around 2/3 price of setup.

I have been taking pictures underwater for a number of years, (I even started with film cameras) I do know the direction I want to go, no handles, no arms, no strobe, and 'maybe ' a WA 110 lens, but that would be all. Only other addition would probably be a Magic Filter.
I dive with a compact and take some pics if I see something, I don't go for Macro subjects, I often switch camera to video mode, which was part of reason for changing (last camera did not have HD video)... and I take as many pictures on land as I do under water.

The analogy is Hero GoPro .... you see these on every dive now ... polycarb case, no flash, considerably inferior optics ... yet the choice of thousands.

Been doing some more Googling around for details .... even in standard ver (not the II) see on backscatter.com that it has won best compact for 2013 .... "RX100 has the best of all worlds, with class leading performance and extremely high image quality. The RX100 sports a stunning resolution of 20 megapixels and still maintains great low-light performance."
and on Bluewater photo ... best compacts 2013 "Sony RX-100 - Best image quality & focus speed"
So many sites vote RX100 as the best compact for diving, this was my reason for considering it .... plus it gives me a first rate land based compact

Last edited:
And I don't disagree with that. But the camera and housing only is a poor show. It only covers 20% of the possible shots you want to take
If you don't take macro I would get as a minimum a wide angle lens as the field of view of the bare port is around 54 degrees in water really nothing wort doing
Backscatter test the cameras with full set of accessories once you deprive of that all cameras become a bit average

And I don't disagree with that. But the camera and housing only is a poor show. It only covers 20% of the possible shots you want to take
If you don't take macro I would get as a minimum a wide angle lens as the field of view of the bare port is around 54 degrees in water really nothing wort doing
Backscatter test the cameras with full set of accessories once you deprive of that all cameras become a bit average

Agree with that .... as mentioned I would probably get 100 degree WA lens (had Inon previously), and a magic fliter, that is as complex as I would go.
As that can be achieved on a £100 housing ... can't see point of spending £900 :)

Don't follow what you mean ... I have had 5 Polycarbonate housing, never had a problem with one of them .... Lat 2 were Fuji, and simple housings ... but pretty bombrooof, never had a leak, never had a breakage.

Only problem I have had is on Ikelite it was possible to install camera with shutter release button 90 degree out ... and could not correct during the dive.
You don't need one piece machined aluminium housing for recreational diving ... you can of course, but I have better things to spend £900 on.

So after a 2.5% price drop the original rx100 is back where it was
I read some comments that the new features are not that useful for underwater use but I would wait until I put my hands on one before accepting that as a given

Back
Top Bottom