Sony DSC RX100 - new model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also seeing very good deals on the Canon G15 incl Canon housing ... be interested in views of G15 vs S110 if I am to look at alternaive to Sony

G15 and S110 will both take excellent pictures and be better for macro and portrait than the Sony. S110 is better for wide than G15 from what I've read. You can't go far wrong with any of the three. Issue with the Canons seems to be native lens too long for WA unless you limit the port length and restrict zoom, making it difficult to get field of view with wide angle lens as the camera has to zoom a bit to use it. A good photographer can take award winning pics with any of them.

the G15 is a great little camera. wide angle is not it's strong suit but IQ in everything it can do is very good.

Also seeing very good deals on the Canon G15 incl Canon housing ... be interested in views of G15 vs S110 if I am to look at alternaive to Sony

If this is your first camera I would grab a deal on the S100 if you can still find the fix or recsea housing on offer

No ... not my first camera, that was a 35mm film camera back in 70's.
This to replace a Fuji F31FD system
I am a happy snapper .. only around 30 dives a year now, not interested in strobes ... been that route and it was not for me.
Camera will be used as much for video as stills.

Camera will be used as much in it's case above water .... I do a lot of skyski/wakeboarding/skiing and use camera for that in it's housing.
Plus normal land useage.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 AM ----------

The camera is priced £650 in UK against £469 and Sony is keeping the original version on the market until December. Prices on the rx100 have reduced only 5% and don't expect them to crash
Maybe there will be a smaller reduction that could go towards a nauticam or aquapazza housing that are the best two for the rx100
Am looking forward to testing the menus to see if they are as awkward as the first version!

See it has already dropped to £501 on Amazon ... that is £150 down in only 2 months ... seems like price did crash (or is)

Last edited:
if you're gonna use the RX100 on land, you may want to get one of those Franiec grips because the RX100 is not "grip friendly"...but it does take great shots on land as well :).

Thnks for that ... seeing confusing reviews .... some (here) have said it's no good for UW use as poor macro capability.
Yet just been awarded best underwater camera for 2013 on Bluwater photo :confused:

best in Blue Water with the nauti/recsea housing with the options available. It does say best option for video but the nice rx100 vids i've seen are with lights unless clear and shallow water.

The RX100M2 has not dropped in price at all it is now £640. The old version is now at £390 that is also not much less

The RX100 is great for video lights or not actually performs very well in ambient light wide angle

Just when I was about to buy the Canon G15 and it's housing ... find out there is a new G16
Does all G15 can do (same lens & features)
Additions:
The G15 had good AF capability.... G16 increases this by 41%
G16 now has full UHS Class 1 support for faster data transfer (burst mode or video)
Has Wifi and GPS
Increase in fps form 2.1 (which was low) to 12.2
Impressive increase in HD video to support 60 fps
DIGIC processor now takes a step up to Digic 6, with claimed big increases in low light performance.

An increase in autofocus speed combined with x5 increase in burst mode (at least initial) could make it very useful benefits for Underwater use.

It's very bright f1.8 lens is the same, with it's 1cm min focus distance for macro
Another first for G Series is "Focus peaking"

As usual Canon have their own housing .. this time the WP-DC52, I know this is not up to a Nauticam/Fantasea or similar but it's 40m capability probably well matched to this non-SLR happy snapper camera.

What do you think ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom