Sony HC-3 durable enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost:
but now I cannot edit HD because my computer (2.8 GHz Intel, 1Gig of ram, 256Mbit video card and Sony Vegas trial version) cannot handle .
Good luck
Paul,

You're right on the edge of being able to capture/edit HDV:

System Requirements
Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP (Windows XP SP2 required for HDV)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (Included on CD-ROM)
DirectX 9.0c or later (Included on CD-ROM)
800 MHz processor (2.8 GHz for HDV)
200 MB hard-disk space for program installation
256 MB RAM (512 for HDV)
Windows-compatible sound card
CD-ROM drive (for installation and CD extraction)
Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
OHCI compatible IEEE-1394DV Card (for DV/HDV capture and print to tape)
Supported CD-Recordable drive (for CD burning)
Supported DVD-r/-rw/+r/+rw drive (for DVD burning)
Try buying the full Vegas Movie Studio Platinum + DVD 7. Possibly the trial version doesn't include HDV support. More RAM would cut down your final rendering time also. Your video card doesn't matter as much. Make sure you're capturing to a 7200rpm drive.

OK, Hijack over, sorry Dr. Bill.

btw what did you think of the fixed viewfinder on the HC3? Can you see it through the back port on your TopDawg?

I own an HC1 and just played around with an HC3 in the store. It felt about the same to me in terms of durability, seemed to be very solid.

The top loading is a nice feature, it gets old having to remove the camera from the mounting plate to change tapes.

If you haven't already, might read the review at camcorderinfo.com. Their overall impression is that it's a consumer version of the prosumer HC1.

drbill:
??? Are you saying Premiere Elements 3.0 doesn't do HD? From the product description it says it does.

No problem on the "hijack," it was all relevant (much more so than when I hijack a thread!).
No I meant that he was correct that Elements also does have HD support. The quote was lifted from the Premiere Elements webpage. I'll rewrite my OP now...

sjspeck:
OK, Hijack over, sorry Dr. Bill.

btw what did you think of the fixed viewfinder on the HC3? Can you see it through the back port on your TopDawg?
If you haven't already, might read the review at camcorderinfo.com. Their overall impression is that it's a consumer version of the prosumer HC1.

The viewfinder is difficult to see in the Top Dawg rear port, in part because it is low and in part because it is farther forward. I can see through it, but good framing would be difficult. However, I have a small LCD monitor that will fit within the housing once I make some minor modifications... that saves the cost of the monitor back for the Top Dawg.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has already used these new products to capture and edit HD. Would like to hear ease of use and time to capture. This is a promising advance however there is still no consumer way to burn to DVD in HD so it would remain taking up loads of hard drive space until they develop that program. OK, now go prove me wrong on that one too. HA.

Cheers
Jessica

I'm finding Vegas MS fairly easy to use. But there's a lot that I still haven't figured out yet 6mos. later. But I will, I'm an old Premiere user so the concepts are similar.

This is a promising advance however there is still no consumer way to burn to DVD in HD so it would remain taking up loads of hard drive space until they develop that program. OK, now go prove me wrong on that one too. HA.
Cheers
Jessica
That's more or less true, But you didn't post that.
consumer product for High Def EDITING
That's why I have close to a Terabyte of disk storage. Plus you can always write the edited video back to tape for storage/viewing. Which btw looks sensational on my 1080P HDTV. And once the "format wars" get sorted out I'm sure that manufacturers are geared up to produce consumer level HD-DVD/Blu-Ray burners. Especially now since the PS3 has a Blu-Ray player and Xbox 360 has an add-on HD-DVD player. Which is pretty crazy, I'm considering buying an Xbox for it, it's cheaper than the HD-DVD players I've seen and you can play games on it - probably costs less than the available component players also.

btw, I wasn't trying to "prove you wrong" merely pointing out inaccuracies in your statements to keep from misleading others.

There are DVD recorders that will burn HDV but they are pretty costly (~$900). The Vegas software supposedly supports them.

I just wonder how much longer HDV will be "the standard" before they come up with a new one to force us to buy new camcorders (and housings). This will be the fourth format I've shot video in over just 5+ years.

Back
Top Bottom