SONY NEX-5 wide-angle conversion lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
When I review the NEX-5 and Nauticam housing several months ago I used the 16 mm F/2.8 lens with the 4.33 dome port and with the VCL-ECF1 Fisheye conversion lens.

Last week I was able to use the same camera and housing combo with the 16 mm F/2.8 lens and the VCL-ECU1 wide angle conversion lens. This lens increases the angle of view of the 16 mm lens from around 82 degrees to around a 95 degree rectilinear lens.

I found this combination much more useful than the FISHEYE combo because it works well in so many more situations than the fisheye. The size and weight of the twin strobe system was very much like using the Nikonos V with the Nikonos 15 mm lens.

I also found the $120.00 VCL-ECU1 conversion lens to be sharp for its cost.

I have attached a few images taken with the system.

Sony NEX-5, 16 mm F/2.8, VCL-ECU1 conversion lens, Nauticam housing and dome port, twin Inon Z-240 strobes.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• _DSC3456.jpg
    _DSC3456.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 760
  • _DSC3702.jpg
    _DSC3702.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 569
  • _DSC3809.jpg
    _DSC3809.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 543
  • _DSC3714.jpg
    _DSC3714.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 525
Great shots Phil! I am assuming you used the dome port for this? Do you still need to nudge a shark's nose to get a decent percentage of the frame filled like you do with the fisheye? :wink:

Hey Phil

Great shots! Hope we see some more of your pictures and tests.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Tino

Attachments

• _DSC3385.jpg
    _DSC3385.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,616
Very nice, Phil. Reef recommended this combination to me as well, but it has not yet gotten wet.

I guess I'll be geetting the same rig. I like it is very compact for traveling and it is a great camera.

When I review the NEX-5 and Nauticam housing several months ago I used the 16 mm F/2.8 lens with the 4.33 dome port and with the VCL-ECF1 Fisheye conversion lens.

Last week I was able to use the same camera and housing combo with the 16 mm F/2.8 lens and the VCL-ECU1 wide angle conversion lens. This lens increases the angle of view of the 16 mm lens from around 82 degrees to around a 95 degree rectilinear lens.

I found this combination much more useful than the FISHEYE combo because it works well in so many more situations than the fisheye. The size and weight of the twin strobe system was very much like using the Nikonos V with the Nikonos 15 mm lens.

I also found the $120.00 VCL-ECU1 conversion lens to be sharp for its cost.

I have attached a few images taken with the system.

Sony NEX-5, 16 mm F/2.8, VCL-ECU1 conversion lens, Nauticam housing and dome port, twin Inon Z-240 strobes.

Phil Rudin

Hi phil
Thanks for the great shots. I am just setting up everything for my NEX7 and am really tossing up between these 2 converters can you explain a bit more about the usefulness comment of this compared to the fisheye? (I am new to interchangeable lens cameras). I assume I then just go for the dome port? Do you have the shots taken with the Fisheye you could put up?

Terri

Hi Terri,

I don't know how it ended up in the Olympus section but I reposted the fisheye review and you can find it in the Oly section

Phil Rudin

Back
Top Bottom