Sony P9 with HID canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Sony F707 camera that I would LOVE to use underwater but I don't want to spend $1,000 on a housing because I'm going to replace it soon. My backup plan is to use my wife's Sony DSC-P9 with the MPK-P9 housing. I can still get the Mpk-p9 housing for about $250 on eBay.

I have a DiveRite HID canister light that I'd like to use with this camera. Will that work? I don't want to buy a bunch of special strobes and stuff for the P9 as it's not really a serious camera. If I can use my canister light with the P9 I'd by the housing for it.

Otherwise I'll probably wait for the new F828 and get a housing for that and do it right. I was just looking for a way to get into underwater photography the cheap and easy way with the Sony P9. It's small and easy to use for a casual user.

If you've ever tried an HID light with your camera please let me know how that worked.

Thanks

Just use the camera the way it is and you may be pleasently surprised. I've been using a P5 for a couple of years and it seems to do a fine job. Here's a link to a recent trip we made to Bonaire, there are a number of picture links. All shots with a P5 and the internal strobe.

The link didn't seem to work. I'd love to see photos taken with this camera without an external strobe (or better yet, WITH an HID canister light).

Can you try that link again?

Thanks

I have a Sony p-10 and use it with just my flash and my dive light. The pictures seem to come out just fine.

I did try HID light with my camera. I used the Light Canon which I did not find very useful. My biggest problem with it is that it tends to give blue shade to anything white. I believe the Light Canon is 6000K, most strobes tend to be in the low 5000K range which give a warmer tone which works better for photography.
I am not sure what color temperature other HID light would be but from brief look, Night Rider seems warmer than Light Canon as well but for that price, a strobe would be better. Regardless, I think HID will make it much easier to focus but none of them will give any brightness that can compete with any of the common strobes use in u/w photography.

Sony F828 seems very nice but my only concern is that its lens is quite a bit bigger than other point and shoot camera so most likely the housing will not be compatible with other wet mount lens such as the Inon, Sea and Sea etc so you will not be able to add wide angle lens to it (as is the case with Ikelite housing for Sony F717, I think only Gates makes housing with interchangable wet mount lens for Sony F717 but that is a serious money in and of itself). So this may not make the F828 ideal for u/w photography unless you plan to only do macro and fish portrait but none of the big pelagics.

I've got the HID cannon as well and it came with two diffusers that eliminate the center hot spot and are recommended if you intend to use the light for photography. Has anybody tried those diffusers, and what were the results.

He has the Light Cannon w/ diffusers and I have the DR can light. Neither of those lights are ideal for taking pics, though the diffusers help with the blue tint of the light canon.

The DR light is just too narrow and bleaches out a real tight spot within the frame. He finally added a strobe and is taking impeccable pictures with the set up now.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just got back from an eye exam so I can't see very well right now. Please forgive any typos.

Cecil-
Thanks for the link. As soon as I can see again I'll check out your photos :)

Wingtip -
He finally added a strobe and is taking impeccable pictures with the set up now.
Do you know what brand/model strobe he bought? I assume he needed a bracket for it as well?

The DR light is just too narrow and bleaches out a real tight spot within the frame
My DR HID canister has the flood light head rather than the spot. Do you have the spot?

I don't plan to use the P9 for serious work nor for macro stuff. Mainly just pics of people and stuff 3-10 feet away. I'm going to go ahead and buy the mpk-p9 housing and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom