Sony RX100v - anyone using one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nauticam has a nice NA-RX100V Pro Set now available that's a great deal. Includes the housing, vacuum leak detector, handle brackets and external trigger assembled with a complete Flexitray system and ball mounts, all in a nice carrying bag for $1255 - about a $250 savings! These are available now, we have them coming in, but are selling out quickly.
NAU-RX100V-Pro15.jpg

Oooh that looks nice... Hmmm... Wonder if they'll keep that offer going for a while?

I took a look at your site Jack, some really interesting articles and stuff on there.

What's your view on the RX100V underwater? Particularly for video - have you had chance to play with one? How would it compare to say an LX100. Any thoughts?

I haven't played with one uw yet. But the RX100V is a definite improvement over the IV. Having phase detect AF is huge and it's specs are impressive. That being said, controls are buried in menus, and it has a learning curve to work with.

I think the LX100 is easy to use and quality for video is pretty good, but it doesn't have full zoom through with external w/a lenses. It's a pretty old camera at this point, I would look to the new GX85 or something if Panasonic was of interest.

Here's DPReviews review of the RX100V.

Well, I would buy one but-----.

I need to get through at least 300 shots with flash?

What gets me across that line? Will the new Panasonic GX85 with the external flash get me there?

I need three dives, 100 shots each, with flash, preferably in TTL mode.

N

I haven't played with one uw yet. But the RX100V is a definite improvement over the IV. Having phase detect AF is huge and it's specs are impressive. That being said, controls are buried in menus, and it has a learning curve to work with.

I think the LX100 is easy to use and quality for video is pretty good, but it doesn't have full zoom through with external w/a lenses. It's a pretty old camera at this point, I would look to the new GX85 or something if Panasonic was of interest.

Here's DPReviews review of the RX100V.

Thanks Jack. I think I'm going to go for one. Leaving aside the great 1080/4K codecs etc, as you mention the focus looks really, really great. I did look at the GX85 and have watched a few blogs etc where its been used. There's one adventure vlog by a Canadian - Chris Prouse which is beautifully put together and makes full use of the OIS (she uses a gimbal as well) but even with all that effort you can see the camera hunting for focus at times and the video can look a bit blown now and again. (And I need all the help I can get in the focus department!:wink:). Also - I'm then moving into bigger housings, lenses, ports etc etc

Nemrod - I'm certainly no expert but you might be pushing into DSLR territory with that battery requirement. I've used an RX100II - that one had really decent battery life. I'd have thought that might be the one to look at if you want something small and can live without the focus and video features.

Jack just sold me a RX100V setup and I'll be diving it regularly up here in Alaska, mostly focusing on macro photo and video.

Transitioning from a GoPro... will have it in the water this weekend and start getting used to it. I'm also concerned about battery life, especially in the cold, and will report back in once I have some firsthand experiences.

Jack just sold me a RX100V setup and I'll be diving it regularly up here in Alaska, mostly focusing on macro photo and video.

Transitioning from a GoPro... will have it in the water this weekend and start getting used to it. I'm also concerned about battery life, especially in the cold, and will report back in once I have some firsthand experiences.

Excellent - let us know how you get on... I'm doing the same in that I've had some great stuff off a Gopro (prior to that used a Sony Handicam). My diving will be broadly similar (drysuits/gloves) but I suspect a bit warmer but probably not anything like as good viz. (I've watched the Deadliest Catch and seen the great water colour you lot get compared to the Channel here in the UK).

Thanks Jack. I think I'm going to go for one. Leaving aside the great 1080/4K codecs etc, as you mention the focus looks really, really great. I did look at the GX85 and have watched a few blogs etc where its been used. There's one adventure vlog by a Canadian - Chris Prouse which is beautifully put together and makes full use of the OIS (she uses a gimbal as well) but even with all that effort you can see the camera hunting for focus at times and the video can look a bit blown now and again. (And I need all the help I can get in the focus department!:wink:). Also - I'm then moving into bigger housings, lenses, ports etc etc

Nemrod - I'm certainly no expert but you might be pushing into DSLR territory with that battery requirement. I've used an RX100II - that one had really decent battery life. I'd have thought that might be the one to look at if you want something small and can live without the focus and video features.

I get about 240 shots with my S90 but with flash set to manual and minimum. In ttl maybe 100. What I am learning is the Sony V cannot match even that.

I do not use my camera for video, I use my Gopro for that.

Oh well, money to burn and nothing to buy.

N

Well, I would buy one but-----.

I need to get through at least 300 shots with flash?

What gets me across that line? Will the new Panasonic GX85 with the external flash get me there?

I need three dives, 100 shots each, with flash, preferably in TTL mode.

N

How you use the camera, what type of shots (Macro/wide angle) you take will influence how long the battery lasts. 100 macro shots is one thing, 100 w/a is another. Video burns batteries. How long you have the viewscreen active, etc. all influences battery life.

Honestly, how hard is it to change a battery after a couple of dives? You're going to be having lunch anyways...I never push my strobe batteries past 2 dives anyway. A camera with an LED trigger would, as would a DSLR. A camera with a viewfinder will use a lot less juice than a viewscreen. Maybe the GX85 or new Oly EM1 mkII.

Lenses have a big influence on focus. A good fast lens will lock focus a lot faster. The PRO lenses from Oly are awesome. The new E-M1 mkII has both contrast and phase detection AF and is looking to be an outstanding camera. Just getting mine tomorrow and will be taking it along on my Komodo trip the end of January with some sort of housing (not sure which).

Here at 145' with the 8mm FE with the "old" E-M1. No focus issues.

20493171536_3edae8c898.jpg

Back
Top Bottom