Sony RX100v - anyone using one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How you use the camera, what type of shots (Macro/wide angle) you take will influence how long the battery lasts. 100 macro shots is one thing, 100 w/a is another. Video burns batteries. How long you have the viewscreen active, etc. all influences battery life.

Honestly, how hard is it to change a battery after a couple of dives? You're going to be having lunch anyways...I never push my strobe batteries past 2 dives anyway. A camera with an LED trigger would, as would a DSLR. A camera with a viewfinder will use a lot less juice than a viewscreen. Maybe the GX85 or new Oly EM1 mkII.

Thanks, I understand, thing is, my last two cameras I struggle to get two dives. According to reviews, the RX100-V is worse than both in battery life.

Changing a battery, in theory is easy, in practice, not always. The quick change last trip resulted in a flooded camera housing. My first since 1984. I would like to be able to go a full day without opening the housing and I would like to use the sTTL modes for my strobes which requires a lot of battery capacity. The V is a step up or several steps up from my S90, except for battery where it has been judged worse by several reviewers. :(

Money to burn and nothing available which is why I am rebuilding my Nauticam S90.

Of course with the vacuum pump there is that extra security I suppose, hmmmmmm. Maybe on the go battery changes are more practical with that feature.

N

Lenses have a big influence on focus. A good fast lens will lock focus a lot faster. The PRO lenses from Oly are awesome. The new E-M1 mkII has both contrast and phase detection AF and is looking to be an outstanding camera. Just getting mine tomorrow and will be taking it along on my Komodo trip the end of January with some sort of housing (not sure which).

Here at 145' with the 8mm FE with the "old" E-M1. No focus issues.

20493171536_3edae8c898.jpg

Lovely shot (particularly as its at 145').

The new E-M1 mkII looks superb and I get your point re lenses. (One of things I'd like is decent continuous focus in video for land use.) Here, I think there's a waiting list for that new Oly. Out of my price range though.

I may be in for the EM1MII.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom