Sony's dreaded C:32:11 error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've owned and used Sony camcorders since the mid 80s. I've personally had 6-7 Sony camcorders in my current housing over the years ranging from 8 to HDV.

I had just finished a night dive here and was trying to capture my HDV footage from my Sony HC-7 to my computer for editing. I turned on the camcorder without even trying to eject the tape and got the C:32:11 message. What the? The tape was still inside the camcorder!

I've had this error message (relating to the tape transport mechanism's door) on my mini-DV (Sony TRV-17) a number of times, but it was always fixable by eliminating the power source and reaffixing it.

Not so with my HC-7. I have tried everything I've read on the Internet about this error and nothing has worked. I can't use the d@mned camcorder or edit any of my HDV footage.

When I searched the Internet for specific fixes, I did see a number of ways to "remedy" this including banging on the camcorder bottom. What struck me was how common this error is not just with Sony's HC series, but a wide range of Sony camcorders.

I have heard that Sony will "repair" what many think is an engineering defect for a mere $200-500. I bought Sony camcorders because they were reliable. I guess quality there has declined as with many other products.

I wrote the CEO of Sony America a long letter outlining the many problems I've encountered with the HC-7 since I bought it. So far the letter hasn't filtered down to someone within the organization who can actually take time to write and respond.

Anyone else here with the C:32:11 error message? Have you found a fix that works for the HC series short of taking a hammer to it (as one poster did... with success!).

Yep, had that myself last month, really if you have tried the banging on the bottom of the camera, try it again, it worked for me, took several tries but it finally did work, my tape transport door was open and wouldn't close at all, took the battery off, hit it several times with the palm of my hand very sharply, it really worked...my tape was also still inside the camcorder.

Good luck...
Frazier Nivens, Ocean Imaging .com

Here's a link to a long web page of "solutions" to this problem with many different models of Sony camcorders.

Please explain the error message to me. When and where does it appear. I've got an HC7 and the damned tape door won't latch shut with or without a tape?in it. I've had it in the shop a couple times. The technician's suggestion was to remove the battery and then replace it, let the thing reset andall should be good. This worked for a while. Now it sounds like I have to get the big hammer out and pound on the bottom of this thing. But in the interim, I'd like to know about the error message as I've never seen one.

Oh, and Dr Bill, thanks for that link. I've spent some time reading those posts.

I get an audible warning as well as the flashing C:32:11 error message in the viewfinder or LCD plus a message that says to reattach the power supply.

On my older TRV-17, removing the battery and power cord then replacing them generally worked with this error message but not on the HC-7. I've tried banging on the camcorder base, but I'm always reluctant to hit anything that expensive too hard!

No response from Sony to my letter... customer service seems to be slipping as they were responsive when I complained that their battery for the HC-7 that explicitly states 6 1/2 hours of life barely got 2 hours. I told them they should at least label it as getting "UP TO 6 1/2 hours") as the reality suggests false advertising. Fortunately the third party batteries I switched to get about 5-6 hours from a single charge.

Back
Top Bottom