Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are booked on the Mermaid 1. Assuming flights go as planned we will arrive noon the day before we board. Suggestions on hotels, easy things to see in/near Sorong, restaurants?

At the end of our trip we'll disembark after breakfast and our flight isn't until 4pm. I'm guessing the airport isn't the best place to spend the day. Suggestions on storing luggage while we go do something?

thanks!!

Sorry to hijack but what do most of you do in regards to malaria in Sorong? We have an overnight on the way back as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I overnighted at the JE Meridien in 2009. It's no luxurious hotel but it is adequate, very conveniently located right across from the airport, and there is an OK restaurant on the premises. Perhaps the liveaboard might have some recommendations, since presumably they have to come pick you up.

mikeycanuk: there is a recent post in Pacific Islands on the subject of malaria. Myself, I would not take any chances even if it is for one day: the consequences are quite severe.

Most Raja Ampat liveaboard operators suggest either JE Meridien or the Royal Mamberamo for pre-cruise overnight stay.

Mermaid I is a superb boat with an excellent crew. Have a great time.

Actually, Sorong Airport is not all that bad to spend a few hours before your flight. There is a reasonable restaurant where you can have a beer and eat.

Actually, Sorong Airport is not all that bad to spend a few hours before your flight. There is a reasonable restaurant where you can have a beer and eat.
There's also a very nice lady at the 4th shop down from the chopper charter office who will pull your grey hairs out if you have nothing to do...next trip she should have enough to make a bilim, or a voodoo doll..not quite sure what she's up to ��

Well, that's interesting information, Wingy. LOL. I can't wait to check that out. Still not sure what we'll do when we disembark. I don't want to be at the airport ALL day and I don't have enough gray hair to spend the day with the "nice lady".

Our liveaboard is recommending Swiss Bel also. It looks like we need to take a taxi to the hotel? Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations around Swiss Bel? Is it easy to walk places?

Misool recently opened a cafe directly across from the airport. Somewhere to go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom