Sorta new to Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ad6e

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm an hour from the beach .. Monterey CA. Lived here for >30 years with no dives.

I got a very early PADI Advanced cert while in the Navy .. in the Philippines. Dove a lot there with J valve and MaeWest BC. Remember those? How to add air to your BC? 1) uncork the hose, 2) take reg out of mouth, 3) blow into the hose, 4) cork the hose ... oh yeah! 5) put reg back in mouth ! Still, lots of fun and maybe 100 dives in 1974. Moved to CA and after being spoiled with 200ft vis and 80F water, why bother?

Dropped out of diving for decades. Did some sporadic diving whenever I traveled to warm water .. not often. A friend got me to try Monterey about 5 years ago. It was terrible! Wet suit made me feel like the Michelin Man. So much weight I could hardly walk. But I gotta admit, wonderful stuff out there.

I've done a bunch more warm water dives since then including a week doing the PADI Rescue class (highly recommended if you haven't done it yet). Just bought a dry suit !! Hope that will solve my cold water frustrations. The dry suit class was promising.

Looking for a dive buddy to get going in Monterey.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom