SOS and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure about the 3 min. part, but the lockout is fairly standard for rec computers, isn't it?
Presumably it thinks if you get back down to your prescribed deco stop within 3 minutes, you won't yet have enough bubbles in your blood to get you in trouble. This should be fairly standard, my leonardo counts two dives with < 3 (?) minutes of SI as a single dive, too.

The OP apparently did not understand that the computer was returning from a dive where a deco stop was required, and this deco stop was blown off. He apparently though this meant that if the computer, having perhaps not been used in many weeks, would lock up if dropped in a bathtub for more than 3 full minutes.

This is also telling you that even if you rise to less than 3' depth, you can continue your deco if you get back below 3' in less than 3 minutes. Remember: a deco stop is not a safety stop, do not confuse the two.

By the way, some computers will not lock if you "blow off" a deco obligation of less than 3 full minutes. I'm not recommending it, just noting another related item of info!

I keep reading if a person remains above 3ft in depth for a certain amount of time without doing a decompression, the dive computer will lock into SOS. This appears somewhat confusing. Please explain?

It is listed in the owners manual for the XP10 dive computer
We explain this well in the XP10 online class in the "When the Unexpected Happens" module.
Basically, the diver surfaced while ignoring his/her decompression obligation and the dive computer is saying: "If you dive again you might get hurt .... Not on my watch" :D

Reactions: RJP
By the way, some computers will not lock if you "blow off" a deco obligation of less than 3 full minutes. I'm not recommending it, just noting another related item of info!
I think 4 minutes is the fastest compartment in -L16 models and so less than that just doesn't get you enough gas to cause trouble. Someone actually familiar with the models (RonR?) can probably explain how it really works.

Suunto will switch from "STOP - Ceiling" mode to "Safety Stop" when the mandatory stop time rolls from 4min down to 3min. I've never blown off the last three minutes on a dive that included a mandatory stop, but given that it seems to be back in "recreational" mode at that point I'm guessing it would not lock me out if I did.

Last edited:
The way my Suunto manual reads, when it calculates a deco stop it also adds the recommended three minute safety stop to it as well. So when the deco obligation is completed, it then just transitions to a regular safety stop and also would adjust to the 3-6 m depth if the deco obligation was deeper. The way I understand that is that since the deco obligation was met, if you blow of the last 3 minutes, it is the same as not taking the recommended 3 minute safety stop on a no-deco dive and you will only incur a penalty on your next dive's NDL as a result.

yep that's it

---------- Post added August 8th, 2015 at 12:47 AM ----------

Thanks all for your input. As you can see by my small number of dives I am still a rookie. I am simply wanting to fully understand my instrumentation and got confused when i read that particular line item concerning my XP10 dive computer. The manual simply did not explain the term SOS nor the consequences. Thanks again for all your help.

My Icon locks out the computer under those circumstances but will still function as a depth/bottom timer. Guess it's saying "if you absolutely have to - BUT it's on you not me".

Back
Top Bottom