south africa and mozambique in july

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Am looking at booking a holiday diving next july in south africa and mozambique. Am thinking about staying at the flamingo bay lodge in inhambane and diving for a week then a few days in aliwal shoal and then maybe some time at thonga lodge near rocktail bay and sodwana bay... any recommendations. Is this a good time of year to go? what will i see? Thanks for all advice x

Firstly, welcome to Scubaboard!

Next - recommendations:

I am going to skirt around from recommendations in Mozambique, other than to say that I had a wonderful time at Ponta Malongane. I found it better than my experience at Ponta do Ouro. Malongane is closer to the reefs generally dived from do Ouro, so there is a much shorter boat ride out. There are a lot of accommodation options as well (from bring your own tent to log cabins).

Other than that I have no experience further North, so I can't really help with the Inhambane question.

From a logistics perspective, it may make sense to dive Sodwana Bay first, then head down to Aliwal Shoal. This depends on whether you will be driving or flying from destination to destination. If you are driving from Moz, you could stop over at Sodwana for a few days on your way down to Durban and then on to Umkomaas (Aliwal Shoal).

In Sodwana Bay, my unreserved recommendation is for Da Blu Juice. They are a smaller charter (read: personal attention) and make use of the Coral Divers accommodation facilities. They really are great (safe and extremely competent)! Other than that you can try Coral Divers, or Sodwana Bay Lodge.

The Aliwal Shoal should be pumping in July. Expect to see Ragged Tooth Sharks! I would try Quo Vadis, Sea Forever or The Whaler. You can also expect good service from Sea Fever or Meridian Dive Charters. There really are a lot of good, experienced charters in Umkomaas (and Scottburgh) that will be able to look after your needs.

I can definitely guarantee that you will see a great country and meet some friendly people!

Keep the questions coming - there are many S.A. divers on the 'Board.

Cheers,

Andrew

Welcome to Scubaboard !!!

I was in Inhambane in November. If I were to do it again, I would spend half the week at Guinjata Bay and half of the week at Barra lodge/flamingo.

While I was there , I was told that April is a good time to see the whalesharks. I don't know about July.

Hello sootyandsweep.

I went to Mozambique (Ponto Malongane) last year in June, and it was amazing. As I’m am still a newbie to diving – only 16 dives till date, and those dives being my first ocean dives I will always have fond memories of the area.

I do not have any info on Inhambane but have written a (long) trip report on my experience at Ponta Malongane. This also includes contact details for my LDS that I’m sure would be able to assist you with you trip. (they are based in Pretoria – south africa)

The link to my post is:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=103533 -- my post

Hope you enjoy your trip wherever you decide to stay –
Save diving !!

Back
Top Bottom