South Africa in mid December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone

I'm looking for my next trip (travelling from London) and have narrowed it down to indonesia or south africa ...

I have spend hours on the net looking for a liveaboard in SA, but can't find one

Do you know if they exist?

or, if no liveaboards - then where would you suggest a single girl goes to get as much diving in for 7 days?
and, does not get bored in the evenings sitting around on her own
There are so many resorts around that I just don't know where to start - I'm not looking for posh 5*, just clean and safe

My first choice would, of course, be a liveaboard

I'm looking for something to match my Galapagos experience

Thanks

Venus

Hi Venus

There are no liveaboards operating here, save for the odd yatch charter.

Probably your best bet is to go to Sodwana Bay although it will be busy at that time of year. There are plenty of reefs to dive

If you are willing to travel a bit you could dive Aliwal shoal for a few days then head down to Cape Town for some GW shark diving if that is what you enjoy. Or mix Sodwana and Aliwal if you don't want to travel too much.

Hope this helps

AndyT is the expert on SA we only dove there once, Bazaruto Island, there is a trip report, photos, MultiMedia show at our website. Also one for our recent trip to Indo.

SA and Indo are very different diving especially if you are talking about wanting to do 4 or more dives per day. SA will be some reef and high possibility of a range of sharks. Indo is in the Coral Triangle and has some of the most fantastic reefs in the world, but not a ton of sharks. SA is diving from shore launched zodiacs and 3 dives is typical. Indo has great shore or live-aboards where you can dive until your computer says no more.

Hope that helps.

We do not really have liveaboards in South Africa because the sea and winds are so unpredictable but looking at what you say I would suggest you dive Aliwal Shoal the night life is O.K. and the diving is good Durban is also only 40KM away if you need more help send me a mail john@guinjatabay.co.za

SA and Indo are very different diving especially if you are talking about wanting to do 4 or more dives per day.

SA will be some reef and high possibility of a range of sharks.

Indo is in the Coral Triangle and has some of the most fantastic reefs in the world, but not a ton of sharks.

what a brilliant explanation!
this is exactly why i have chosen these two destination ..... they are the extremes

I am a little fed up of reading "dive destination xxx has pristine colourful soft and hard coral reefs, big fish, small fish, every inbetween fish. Sharks, manta, cleaning stations with 5 different cleaning shrimps, migrating hump back whales passing by mating nudibranch on an upright intact WWII destroyer etc etc"

ie, this dive destination xxx has everything that every single diver wants

in my experience it can't have everything to the level that I want, so I have decided to go for either Big ... SA or Macro ... Indo but not try to get everything at once
the other option is wreck diving at Truk

Thanks for this, I am the one that gets the "in water" record on every liveaboard i go on.
I shouldn't, but i do dive my computer

so, what your saying is they are both great destinations for what their specialities are
but, sort of diving do i want to do Liveaboards or land + Zodiacs?

SA is diving from shore launched zodiacs and 3 dives is typical. Indo has great shore or live-aboards where you can dive until your computer says no more.

your pictures are greati love the Cocos video

We do not really have liveaboards in South Africa because the sea and winds are so unpredictable

oh, so that's why it is

If you are willing to travel a bit you could dive Aliwal shoal for a few days then head down to Cape Town for some GW shark diving if that is what you enjoy. Or mix Sodwana and Aliwal if you don't want to travel too much.

i would definately like to do Aliwal - in fact i'd stay there all week if i was to get the type of activity i got in galapagos
then my plan was to go down to Cape Town and hang out for a couple of days

we have the Dive Show in London next weekend, I was hoping to have a few ideas and then make a decision when I'm there

thanks very much for your help guys

have a good week

Venus

Hi Venus
Just tried to visit your site got this message

Reported Attack Site!
This web site at Scuba Girl has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.
Safe Diving

Remember December is high holiday season here in SA, all the land locked masses head for coast with just about everything / anything that moves ... also up the Mozambique coast is the same, but come mid Jan they all back home so more chilled overall but still the hot and rainy season, in Cape Town even worse, The Wind. April / May is nicer.

Have you looked at Zanzibar yet? Bit more chilled, and some lovely African flavours there, and I believe the scuba is good as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom