South Florida Beach Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking about trying to convince some of my non-diving friends to have a beach day, and was hoping to conveniently go some where right near a shore dive site. I live in Coral Gables, and from what I can tell the closest would be in the Hollywood/Dania beach area. Anyone have any experience there or can suggest somewhere closer?

Thanks!

Lauderdale by the sea is great for beach diving if the vis is good. I would call Goldcoast scuba the day before or the day of to get an idea of what conditions are like. They have meetup dives at commercial pier and the pompano dropoff regularly.

Both Dania Beach and Lauderdale by the Sea are nice beach dive sites.

Here's my brief thoughts: LBTS is an easier swim to the reef. There are little restaurants in the area that are nice to wander up to before or after you dive but the parking is a pain. Unless you arrive early, you'll be lugging your gear a long distance. Additionally, the showers are located in convenient areas for washing gear, but there aren't many public restrooms.

Dania's reef feels like it is a bit further out to me. I have not been to Dania recently, but last time I was, the restaurant by the pier was closed. Parking is unlimited plus you have some restrooms to use. Dania also has showers, but the water pressure is lower than LBTS. Dania also has Erojacks (sp?) that are well north of the pier: I've not dove them, but I hear they are interesting. Youtube videos I've seen are pretty cool.

Both reefs are very nice and beautiful, but I like Dania's slightly better: there's more relief to it. But again, both sites are great to dive if marine conditions are decent.

Gold Coast Scuba's meetup group does dives at both locations; you can join the club and then pick a day to go to the beach with your family when other divers will also be there.

You can search Shorediving.com for additional information.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom