Soviet Sub To Be Sunk.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW guys here is some info on B-39 you might enjoy.

B-39, homeported in San Diego, California
Career (USSR)
Name: Б-39
Laid down: 9 February 1962
Launched: 15 April 1967
Commissioned: 28 December 1967
Decommissioned: 1 April 1994
Fate: Museum ship, San Diego, California, United States
General characteristics
Class and type: Foxtrot-class submarine
Displacement: 1,953 long tons (1,984 t) surfaced
2,475 long tons (2,515 t) submerged
Length: 89.9 m (294 ft 11 in)
Beam: 7.4 m (24 ft 3 in)
Draft: 5.9 m (19 ft 4 in)
Propulsion: 3 × Kolomna 2D42M 2,000 hp (1,500 kW) diesel engines
3 electric motors; 2 × 1,350 hp (1,007 kW) and 1 × 2,700 hp (2,000 kW)
1 × 180 hp (130 kW) auxiliary motor
3 shafts, each with 6-bladed propellers
Speed: 16 knots (18 mph; 30 km/h) surfaced
15 knots (17 mph; 28 km/h) submerged
9 knots (10 mph; 17 km/h) snorkeling
Range: 20,000 nmi (37,000 km) at 8 kn (9.2 mph; 15 km/h) surfaced
11,000 nmi (20,000 km) snorkeling
380 nmi (700 km) at 2 kn (2.3 mph; 3.7 km/h) submerged
Endurance: 3–5 days submerged
Test depth: 246–296 m (807–971 ft)
Complement: 12 officers, 10 warrants, 56 seamen
Armament: • 10 torpedo tubes (6 bow, 4 stern)
• Up to 22 torpedoes

Ive been on this one before, nice old sub, i need to haul but to downtown there and get my picture taken by the pilothouse then when its sunk, dive down and get my pic taken there underwater. Hope its not too deep.

Ive been on this one before, nice old sub, i need to haul but to downtown there and get my picture taken by the pilothouse then when its sunk, dive down and get my pic taken there underwater. Hope its not too deep.

That s a great idea you have.

How many levels does this sub have? Any ideas yet for swimthroughs on the sub? Any areas planned to be inaccessible? Can I dive it as they're putting it in the water?LOL.

Seriously, when is the 10th anniversary of the Yukon that they're planning to sink the sub? How do you Yukon divers find the vis usually this time of year?

Rainer, excellent points.

It's my understanding that subs that are reefed have to have cuts to prevent rolling, so there may well be some swim-throughs once she's down, especially given SD's water conditions. I expect the openings to be as thoroughly planned (and mapped) as were the cuts on Yukon.

But note that the news releases don't provide any date certain. The associations and people involved may at some point make this a reality. I'm hoping Dick Long or other principals will keep us in the loop.

For the moment, I suggest that anyone lusting for a sub dive email CSTR and offer your help (physical or financial) when the time comes, as I have. I expect that will get you on the short mailing list for updates on CSTR's progress.

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom