SP-350 with a Card Reading Error issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gert7to3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bought an Olympus branded 2 Gb xD-Picture Card. Thought I would be able to do movies plus have the capacity for lots of still photos.

On the first dive I took the camera with this card underwater, after a few photos, my camera just locked up. The little red "busy" light would blink continuously until a "Card Reading Error" warning popped up on my LCD. I was confronted with a window that had two options, Format or Cancel. If I chose Cancel the camera would go back to busy mode until the software timed out and dumped me back to the same Format/Cancel window. I humored the thing the first time it happened, but it kept happening.

Went back to my 1 Gb cards and there were no further problems.

Has anyone else had this happen. Could this be a bad memory card?

I have an Olympus 2gb type H in mine right now. Worked flawlesly while in Curacao. Maybe a bad card. Can you return it?

I've had that a couple times. Turned the camera off & on and away it went. PITA though.

I use a Fuji 2G type H all the time. No problems. You didn't format the card on your computer, did you? Always erase and format in the camera. Could be the card is bad.

Thanks for the range of opinion everyone. When the camera lapsed into busy mode I couldn't do anything with it. I tried off/on and have always formatted my cards in the camera. I think I'll try for an exchange, since most of you haven't seen any issues. My 1 Gb cards worked always flawlessly.

I use the FujiFilm 2GB Type H XD card and I have had no problems. I switch back and forth between that one and a number of 1 GB cards without any issues.

I have an SP-350 that I use an Olympus Type M 2 gig card. Never had an issue. I have had an issue with one of my 1 gig cards in the past. I was able to get it running again by plugging the camera in the computer and formatting the card with my computer.

Here are the steps involved in formatting on the computer:
1) Plug in the camera and and push the OK button to link with PC
2) Go to My Computer and right click on the new removable disk (F: in my case) that is created when you plug in the camera
3) Select Format...

From there I just created the standard folders that are on the card from the factory and bingo, card was fine. I somehow got some corrupted data on it that the camera didn't know how to handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom