sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowhands:
Olympus did make some really great cameras for underwater use, but time marches on. The competition is tough, and they had a first ever loss in 2004, then laid off 30% of the imaging division workforce starting in May 2005. Running leaner, Olympus seems to have refocused its mid-range and high end strategy into two product lines: a cheaper mid range SP series line, and their high end DSLRs in the E series. Under financial pressure, Olympus seems to have killed the outstanding upper midrange C-x0x0 series abruptly in September 2005, leaving many loyal Olympus midrange customers wondering if it was time to switch to another brand.

The new SP-320 and -350 are usable, but their average lenses, slow operation and limited features are just not in the same league as the C-x0x0 family. To be fair, he SP series is in the $300-400 range, while the C-x0x0 series was in the $600-900 range. Olympus probably decided to try maximize profit by selling higher volumes of the cheaper cameras, and trying to steer mid-range and high end customers to the DSLR line, which has a longer life and lots of add-on potential.

The problem with this strategy is that the competition at the low end is brutal and these SP models are lukewarm entries, while their DSLR line-up is just not yet popular with professionals, who invariable choose Canon or Nikon. It leaves their midrange customers with nowhere to go but to the competition.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am still using my $200, refurbished Oly C4000Z's, which was a reduced features version of the C4040. From all that I have read on this thread I don't plan on upgrading any too soon, especially with an Olympus brand. The C5050 was their peak of point-and-shoots. After that Olympus crashed as far as I'm concerned.
Many brands of the newer point-and-shoot cameras have dropped features for cost as the competition is fierce. Most consumers seem to look at megapixels and not much else. Many, if not most, of the newer point-and-shoots have no zoom feature in the macro mode. The lens is fixed so you have to move the entire camera too and from the subject. Try that on the head of a moray eel.

gluehuffer:
#1 in my book for buying a camera is battery life
#2 is will it do what you want it to do?
Well, battery life is not that great... I was using rechargeable AAs (2500ma) on my last trip to Cozumel. They would barely last 2 dives, that was with switching off the screen when I didn't need it to conserve battery life!

Had a 3 dive day, changed out the batteries after my second dive on the boat in preparation for the night dive. Backrolled in, with checking to make sure my dive light etc. was properly working i didn't notice in time that the housing was leaking. Was down about 15 ft. when I saw the housing was 1/3 full of water... decided to just do the dive, I knew the camera was already toast. In retrospect I would have surfaced to try to salvage the card, that way I would have some pics to show you!

Upon surfacing from an awesome dive where the creatures were all over the place (Splendid Toadfish out in the open, about 20 Octopii, Squid, Eels, etc.) I checked the housing and saw that I had just barely caught the dessicant pack in the lip of the housing. Definitely user error. Battery life is a major drawback on this camera... I never like to open the housing in anything less than ideal conditions and this illustrates why. Oh, and I almost NEVER use dessicant packs but got some with the housing... D'Oh!!!

Luckily I had my OLY 5060 on the trip as well...

I'm curious to know if they did anything about the battery life on the new 320s? Since I already have the housing I am definitely going to replace the camera as it is a perfect P&S topside camera with lot's of features in a small package. I would gladly sacrifice some megapixels for better battery life.

Oh yeah... I saw Best Buy had the SP-350s for $299, that was yesterday... don't know how long that will last.

Sorry about your flood!
Have you downloaded the firmware fix for the low battery? This is supposed to fix the dead battery warning with Nimh AA's. Different batteries have different levels of charge as well. Check the previous posts for best brands. I use a R-CRV-3, it seems to get better life. I've changed things out in the boat a few times. I carry all the little tools in my bag, and open the case and shine my dive light around the perimiter to check for hairs, etc. before I close it. If you use the dessicant, make sure the seam is in, not out. Might let your card thoroughly dry and try it again. I hear the xD's are pretty resilient in that respect. Good luck. BTW, Costco is a little more expensive but they have a 100% return policy (at least until they figure out UW cameras)

I just ordered my Oly SP-350 (New, factory sealed and USA warranty) from BuyDig.com. at $253. Free shipping plus a Mail-in-Rebate of $50. from Olympus. Their prices changes daily, for instance last week it was $242. but no mention of the Rebate. This makes the camera pretty cheap and I thought of ordering two, planning for the eventual Flood. I orderd the PT-030 from another shop at $176.85, extra Silica Gel for $9.85 and $13.90 shipping, which totaled $200.60. The UW housing arrived as advertised and the camera should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.
Finally with a camera again and the fun of re-learing everything new before Maui in mid-April. Anyone else going there, then, I could use a Dive-Buddy?

Don

Don,

I'd like to go but my wife would kill me. I already have 7 Carribean trips scheduled this year.

Larry which strobe did you pick up. And thx again larry for the review, you definately made my mind up for me. Planning to have both camera and uw case and strobe soon, and guarantee ill have questions at he breakwater.

Actually, I've now got two on the way. I originally ordered a Sunpak, which is such a killer bargain at $180.00 that they can't keep up. It's been on b/o for a month with no end in sight. If you think you can't take good pics with a $180.00 strobe, check out Sea Yoda's gallery. Since then, I got antsy and made the mistake of watching ebay too much. I now have an Olympus FL-20, which is weaker but does TTL on its way, as well as the UW housing for it. (about $215 total incl. shipping on both items, both new). The Sunpak comes with a tray and arm as well. If the Oly shows up first, as it probably will, I may have to duplicate Gilligan's set-up. Had I known this would happen, I probably would have plopped the $400 on e-bay for a good used YS-120 or something.

Awesome and thx again larry for info, im looking forward to gettting back to monterey and getting some shots.

Awesome and thx again larry for info, im looking forward to getting back to monterey and getting some shots.

Back
Top Bottom