sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the camera, the housing and a pill bottle on a newspaper. That should give you a pretty good reference.

As others have said, I think you just have to listen to the people who USE the camera! These shots are great!!! However, I listened to the sales person and went with the Canon S80. Have not received the camera so I can't comment but I can tell you that I am kind of sad that I didn't go with the SP350. I hope my shots come out as well.

thanks, Larry!

tk...I really don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the major players, so I wouldn't worry! Remember, it isn't the camera, it's the person behind the camera!

No matter what camera one has the only way to get the most out of it is to practice and know how to maximise those things the camera does well and trick the things it may not be wonderful on!

LarryC,

Seems you know a little about these new fangled cameras. I'm just beginning and just recently bought an SP-350.

Got a couple questions. How hard is it on batteries assuming you're using the internal flash? What strobe are you getting and is it compatable with the Oly housing for TTL use? I've got a 512 card---how many shots can I expect to get.

I'm planning on a 1G card very soon. How about batteries? What are you using? I'm thinking of a charger and two spare CRV-3's. What do you think?

Scuse me such basic questions but I'm completely new to digital. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

You can get over an hour of constant-on use on a CRV-3 rechargeable battery. If you're shooting RAW, get a LOT of memory. I generally go through a 1G card in a single dive. (I bought a second one last week when Fry's had an in store sale for $49.95) Hopefully, bigger xD cards are coming. I heard that faster ones are.("H" series?) I ordered a Sunpak strobe, because I'm suffering "photoshock" on my budget. It is slave only. If you check out Wetpixel forums, CE4Jesus bought the Oly strobe and UW case for it for about $200 on E-Bay stores auction, which does all the functions but lacks power. From what I understand, if you want to use TTL, it's either the Oly or you have to get a special adaptor for your S&S, Ikelite or Inon. I don't know enough about the strobes to really answer that one accurately. If you're not using RAW, you can shoot hundreds of JPEGS on a gig card. You'll find that starting out, the standard UW macro and UW wide settings work really nice for basic JPEG pictures and you can branch out from there. All the shots in my gallery were done with this camera. Feel free to ask about any of the setting info, as there are lots of choices and the advanced manual is about as clear as mud. It took me almost 3 months to get fully comfortable with all of the manual settings, and I'm barely there.

Thanks Larry. Your last couple of sentences are what gave me the most info. As I am new I'll just get along with the camera's auto underwater and macro settings till I learn more.

Where the heck is this Fry place anyway? Cheapest I've found the 1 Gig "H" is $75 and only $3 less for the regular 1 Gig card. I am planning on having a couple extra card on hand.

I guess the best way to answer some of my questions is to just start shooting and see what does what. My next scuba trip is coming the second week of May to Cozumel. I'd like to at least know how many batteries to have along. Or at least extra batteries and a charger.

I'll be watching this and other posts on the 350. Have to learn some of the terminology. Thanks for your help.

Northern Ca. electronics outlet...online at Outpost.com, generally best prices are on advertised in store sales, but occasionally a zinger online.

#1 in my book for buying a camera is battery life
#2 is will it do what you want it to do?

Just for information purposes -- Friday's ad for Fry's has the SP-350 for $299.99 (after $50 rebate) and includes a 512 MB xD card. (Prices good through Tuesday according to the ad.) Since it is a rebate offer, probably the same online.

Sounds like Oly is maybe trying to counter early bad publicity and complaints of not including basics like memory and rechargeable batteries in the price of the camera. A legit complaint. To me, look at the overall cost and what you get when you're done. I've got a total of about $900.00 in camera, memory, battery and charger, UW case and a cheap strobe. For my level of experience and skill, it makes damn fine pictures in a small, light reasonably priced package. Better yet if you can take advantage of Oly's need to assuage their guilt and up their market share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom