sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to say that it sounded like the camera was not detecting the external flash. When it does, it will NOT fire it's internal flash unless you have it set to do both internal and external. Since it only takes 1 wire to fire the strobe, all it takes is the other pin or pins to be not making a good connection and it will fire both internal and external even though you have it set to only external.

Good call on cleaning the contacts! :)

The SP-350 is idosyncratic in that the internal flash will act as a fill flash even when set to external only (go figure!). This is why I said that was a red herring because I had not read the manual on the CD that points that out so I thought that was part of my problem. After setting to external I needed to cycle through the flash button of the camera body and disable flash for the flash to work on the external strobe only.

With the settings I have on our SP-350s, we have never experienced our internal flash firing when the external flash has been connected. Of course, we are using the PT-030 with a HW converter and Sea & Sea strobes. It could be something with the Ikelite set up, but it has been nothing but solid for us. When I looked through the manual, if I have it set to external only, I can't see anything that say's it would fire the internal as a fill flash. The only thing I see is it will fire the internal if the external is not connected.

rjsimp:
...When I looked through the manual, if I have it set to external only, I can't see anything that say's it would fire the internal as a fill flash. The only thing I see is it will fire the internal if the external is not connected.
You know, I thought I read it carefully but you are correct. It looks like I was looking for a description of what I was experiencing and reading into it more than was there. I read this as meaning the internal flash would fill unless turned off:
In S mode and M mode, the flash mode changes in the following order:
fill-flash | red-eye fill-flash | flash off.​
And then when I saw this I read it as meaning I should turn off the flash since the external one would not be affected:
The camera’s flash mode will have no effect on the external flash. The external flash will fire even when the camera’s flash mode is set to off.​
And finally, I neglected to discern that together here means when both are selected in the menu:
When the built-in flash and the external flash are used together, the built-in flash is used as the compensating light source.​
In any case, with the Ikelite interface, it does indeed actually work correctly when I chose external only and then turn off the flash. So, I either have a defective one or it is just a fluke in the Ikelite design. As long as it works I am happy.

netmage:
Where'd you find it for $180 a pop? I just picked one up for my sis at Cotco ~$200... I'm looking to get myself one as well as a backup...

You can try here, I keep it in "my store":

http://astore.amazon.com/yellowtangsof-20

I'm thinking of getting a spare one soon. I 'll use it as a land camera ...

Eddy.

Larry C:
Definitely check the cable. The internal flash will fire, even when set to external if the camera doesn't sense the external flash. I've had it happen when I accidentally forgot to turn on my strobe.

Larry,
This is unrelated, but, is there a UW housing for Olympus FL-36 flash?

Thanks, Don

Yes. The PT-E01 is designed to house the FL-36 for use with the E-500, etc. It sells for $720!!!!!!!!!! OTOH, I've seen posts in the DIY section for using a clear Pelican case to house a powerful topside strobe, like the Vivitars, which can be had on E-Bay for about $50. Anybody handy?

Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of that Pelican case angle. All you'd need is something to hold the light in position and a slave trigger, if you put the strobe on auto. That and a block with a 1/4x20 (US) hole glued or banded to the outside of the case.

Scrounging a couple of through port assemblies from Ikelite one could set it up with full features, even TTL. I think I would forego an on/off switch. Just leave it on, using rechargeable batteries, one fresh set per dive.

To think I just bought another strobe........

Larry C:
Yes. The PT-E01 is designed to house the FL-36 for use with the E-500, etc. It sells for $720!!!!!!!!!! OTOH, I've seen posts in the DIY section for using a clear Pelican case to house a powerful topside strobe, like the Vivitars, which can be had on E-Bay for about $50. Anybody handy?

Ouch! I've been told that going the route of getting an underwater strobe is preferrable to getting a housing for an Olympus flash like the FL-36. A Sea&Sea strobe like the YS-110 is "only" $560. Plus I've heard not so good things about Olympus flashes in underwater use, like their angle of coverage is not very wide.

Eddy.

Gotta keep this thread alive........

An evolutionary change to dual strobes for my SP-350. Sea trails begin soon. I went somewhat cheap and got a Sea & Sea YS25DX . Recently got a deal on a YS25Auto, so back to the shop for an additional arm.

Attachments

• ContactSheet-002.jpg
    ContactSheet-002.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Dual Arm contact 1.jpg
    Dual Arm contact 1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 73
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom