sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewong:
Ouch! I've been told that going the route of getting an underwater strobe is preferrable to getting a housing for an Olympus flash like the FL-36. A Sea&Sea strobe like the YS-110 is "only" $560. Plus I've heard not so good things about Olympus flashes in underwater use, like their angle of coverage is not very wide.

Eddy.
Eddy,

I have re-thought the Oly FL-36 with SP-350. Looking at the Sea & Sea YS-25 at about $400. for everything, would'nt that be an economical way to go? It appears to have decent angle of coverage and power. Is the attachment arm of sturdy quality and functionality?

thanks, Don

Item #1- I have been following this thread off and on for over a year now. I have had my SP-350 for about 10 months or maybe it was a year now, I can't remember. But I am at the point (in the next couple of months) of buying an external flash. If you all had it to do over again what would you get?

Item #2- So I know most of you all have external flashes but do you remember what some of your favorite MY MODE settings were Before you got your external flash? I have been working here in Subic Bay, Philippines for about three weeks, I have done 4 dives and plan on going out once or twice a week until I'm done (which is at the end of March) So I would like to experiment with some settings other than what I am doing. If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them, and give them a shot.

I have only shot about 300 pics so far with mixed results. I normally just use auto for everything and spot/center focus. But I am going set up for at least one my mode setting for manual focus just to see if I can start getting better pic's.

Hi J-Dog. Every diving environment is different. What I did before getting my strobe was play with the camera in the UW macro and UW wide scene modes. When I got good shots for my conditions, I looked at the EXIF and used it as a baseline for my manual settings. For macro work, 2 feet and closer, you can get pretty good shots with the built in flash (spot focus) as long as you have a closed background. If there's open water behind the subject, you'll get backscatter in my experience. In tropical settings, it's advisable to use natural light and manual WB for wide shots. If you're shooting a lot of pelagics and fast moving subjects, I'd turn off the auto focus and use manual focus for one of your My Modes. You can set the distance to your most common shot and it will default to that. Then you can scroll up or down with the mode scroll buttons to adjust. If you want fast shots, set up in the highest JPEG. I prefer RAW, because you can fix almost anything in a good RAW conversion program. Unfortunately, it takes between 7 and 12 seconds, depending on which card you have, to recycle for the next pic after a RAW shot. By then, the Turtle/Shark/Seal, etc. is long gone and you've got a lovely picture of where it used to be. I like to set up the four MyModes for four different type of shots, that way you can just push the mode button and scroll to the next one if you are changing subjects. Currently I have one set for SuperMacro in manual focus, one for Macro in auto spot focus, and two for wide, one with manual everything and one with autofocus and auto WB.
As far as strobes, get a good one to start with, because it's a lot cheaper than buying two or three before you get there. I ended up with the YS-110 and Heinrichs/Weikamp ttl converter. I spent almost as much on the two cheapies I bought first, and now I have little use for them.

Larry C thanks for the information, I was hoping you would catch this post because you are the authority when it comes to the SP-350. We are going out for a morning dive on Thursday after work (I'm a nightshifter 6pm to 6am), I'll report back then, and let you know how it went.

Well I can see this is going to take some time to get the whole manual focus thing dialed in. I had set up my MY Modes like this: #1 Super macro manual focus,auto exposure #2 macro, manual focus, forced flash, auto exposure. #3 Super macro Auto focus, auto exposure #4 macro, auto focus auto exposure, forced flash.

I was diving on a sunken Japanese patrol boat in about 40 foot vis. at 70 ft so I didn't try using the Super Macro due to low lighting conditions, since it won't flash (per design). So I was set up like this-- set manual focus between 14 and 20 inches, and then I would take a series of shots lets say one at 12 inches then back up a couple of inches, ect. ect. hoping one would be within the focus area. I failed pretty good- These were the worst photos in the last 5 dives, which before on the last 4 dives I shot everything in auto.
So we are going out again on Sunday to dive the USS New York. I think I will shoot about 25% of the dive in manual and the rest of the dive in auto just to make sure I get a few keepers.
Anyone have any suggestions? I don't think I can do the whole white balance thing, or shoot in RAW at this time. My dive buddy isn't a photographer so I don't want to hold up the dive by camping in one spot for 5 minutes while I navigate the camara menus.

I am debating between a refurbished 5060, 7070 or 8080, or the new SP-550 (out only a couple weeks now). Any thoughts/preferences on the differences in the 3 C-series cameras? And does anyone know anything about the 550 yet?

CookieMonster:
I am debating between a refurbished 5060, 7070 or 8080, or the new SP-550 (out only a couple weeks now). Any thoughts/preferences on the differences in the 3 C-series cameras? And does anyone know anything about the 550 yet?

You forgot the 5050 - it has a much better lens than the subsequent cameras. I've seen a lot of winning photographs taken with the 5050 - not so many with the three you have listed. They're not bad cameras, but the 5050 was the cat's meow for u/w photography.

JDog:
Anyone have any suggestions? I don't think I can do the whole white balance thing, or shoot in RAW at this time. My dive buddy isn't a photographer so I don't want to hold up the dive by camping in one spot for 5 minutes while I navigate the camara menus.

The beauty of MyModes is that you can get into any with just two key strokes-hit the menu button, then scroll to one of the four modes. If you set up for manual WB, you have to hit one more button while pointing the camera at sandy bottom or a dive slate. I don't use manual WB as I shoot almost exclusively with strobes. I too have found manual focus challenging. Generally, from a foot or more I don't need it. The two times it is advantageous are SuperMacro, when focusing in low light is near impossible, and for fast shooting at longer distance where the exact distance isn't critical. Another nice thing about the SP is the ability to program any button as a shortcut. If you spend some time in the advanced manual, you can learn to set your most popular mode changes to a shortcut button and do them with a single key stroke. An example is that in Cayman, one of the divers on our boat had a rental camera from Cathy Church, and they had programmed the "AEL" button to change MyModes. All he had to do was press it to scroll from one to the other.

Back
Top Bottom