Spare Air...actually useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunderball! Largo covered the shark pool on him, so he whipped out his spare air and swam out through the trap door that the sharks came in through. :D

Yeah, he also used it in the underwater fight scene that was filmed here, now known as Thunderball Grotto off of Staniel Cay in the Exumas.

at least nobody would see you with that ridiculous thing.:wink:

If I make it to the surface alive, do you really think I'd care how I looked?:wink:

Actually, I only used the one spare air for the entire video. After about 7 breaths it was empty and I had to take a breath off my primary then spit it out and put the spare air in my mouth as I was scootering towards the camera...

tsk, tsk, tsk....

Cave Diving with a single spare air? You're just asking for failure.

You should really be using a set of Spare Air's with an isolator manifold! :thumb:

DoubleSpareAirs100.jpg

If I make it to the surface alive, do you really think I'd care how I looked?:wink:

Without beating a dead horse I'd have to say there aren't too many OOA situations a 3cf bottle is going to save your ass in. If you feel more comfortable with a redundant air source sling a real bottle that you know will get you to the surface, why buy and maintain an expensive question mark?

maybe at 30 FSW. Most of my dives around here are 70 FSW to 117 FSW. 3CF of gas just won't get the job done. Far better to carry a pony bottle at those depths.

I guess if it was all I had, I might have the presence of mind to try & use those few breaths to ascend too quickly to a depth where blow & go is more easily done.

Without beating a dead horse I'd have to say there aren't too many OOA situations a 3cf bottle is going to save your ass in. If you feel more comfortable with a redundant air source sling a real bottle that you know will get you to the surface, why buy and maintain an expensive question mark?

I never said I have or would buy one, did I? Nope.

I just said that no one would turn it down if the choice was use it or drown.

I never said I have or would buy one, did I? Nope.

I just said that no one would turn it down if the choice was use it or drown.

General statement, was made in response to yours but geared toward nobody in particular.:wink:

They are pretty tiny too, the 3cu.ft. one clips off to the butt D-ring on a BP/W and isn't that noticiable.

Now there's a thought, you could wrap it in a lift bag and nobody would be the wiser.:D

Take a look at the movie Deep Blue Sea, the shark wrangler uses the Spare air 3cf tank to trick the shark...

He places his BCD with tank on the cage with a small stream of bubbles while the shark goes for it thinking he has a meal, the shark wrangler appears above the shark and shoots a dart to tranquilize the beast...

All while on 3 cf Spare air, it's a sight to see, wonder how much the company paid for him to use it on the scene?

So we do have a use for Spare air, trick a shark and dart him.... :)

Back
Top Bottom