Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goonsquad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, I understand the general consensus is that Spare air is a waste of time and more of a danger than a safety net.

I would like to know why you feel this way, reviews of the product on other third party sites give it glowing positive reviews. How many of you who hate this product actually have owned and used it? How many of you hate it because of the small capacity? It seems that most people think you should have a pony, which is fine but if you're diving primarily between 30 and 60 feet, why will a Spare Air not be fine for an OOA emergency?
Not trolling just don't understand the hatred here and the love elsewhere.

Note, in "Solo Diving", the author is a huge proponent of Spare Air. So, again, WTF?

Save time, cut and paste your responses

If you want to send me one I'll try it out at 30, 45 and 60 feet and will let you know what I think.

I know I am very loved on this board and many will fear for my survival but do not worry for my safety. I'm a pro. I will have a snorkel as backup while conducting this test.

If anyone condems a piece of equipment that can provide you with enough gas to do a safe ascent to the surface, I have to question their judgement. Yes there are other redundant systems that provide more gas. Some choose to travel with these, others don't. I have used these systems, but will carry a Spare Air in some circumstances. No diver should be critisized for the make, model, or type of equipment they choose to carry. In diving this is a freedom that is similar to diving caves, wrecks, deep air, whatever. It is the diver who decides the type of dive he does and the equipment he chooses to purchase to do it. Hopefully, the dive will be done within the diver's capability and safety envelope, including the appropriate equipment for that particular dive.

Man, it has been, what, a year or two since a good Spare Air discussion broke out on this board? I'm so excited! This is always so much fun!

:popcorn:

search_it_noob.gif

I can understand questioning the usefulness in that there isn't much air there to help you out, so you're not going to last long on it. But I've never understood the it's dangerous idea. It's a little extra in a pinch if a bunch of things go wrong, which is not a bad thing IMO.

Having it doesn't replace good buddy skills, good gas planning, etc. I think a lot of people assume that if you carry it, you are going to ignore those things, I've alwasy felt that was a stretch.

Rolling my eyes..

Back
Top Bottom