Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I am pulling this out of context, since this is basic scuba I just want to make a point to NOOBS who may be reading this and think safety stops are mandatory.

One never HAS to do a safety stop. Required stops are deco stops, safety stops are optional (although a very good idea).

Good point. In-fact 20 years ago, the diving public didn't even know what a safety stop was. It's funny how things change. It's still not practiced in military or commercial diving. I believe the real purpose for a safety stop is to "check" the ascent rate. A slower ascent from 33' and especially the last 10' is a critical part of safe off-gassing. We sometimes forget that every dive is a decompression dive in-that we need to off-gas at a controlled rate. I agree that it's good practice and is recommended; especially as we age and put on some extra pounds. :)

Why i think spare air is useless:

bailout.jpg

Figures based on a normalish entry level diver consumption rate of 25l/m.

Add on stress and that figure can easily hit 3x that so divide those times by 3.
At 30m the small spare air could then buy you a massive 10 SECONDS of free gas

Why i think spare air is useless:

If you are consistantly breathing off it at depth, you should know that you will run out of air quickly. Then again, the person who has run OOG probably doesn't know much about gas management or they wouldn't be running OOG in the first-place. :)

If you use a screw-driver to hammer a nail, don't be surprised if you experience problems. We need to have the sense to use the tool in the manner it was designed for. It's to aid a CESA, nothing more.

idk why i'm dredging this up. but i was taught a simple drill in OW that has so far never failed me and never left me in a position where a SA would be useful... what I was taught was to check my SPG. If I can't manage to do that on a regular basis, I shouldn't be diving...

How about this little tidbit, at least with lets just say a 20 cu.ft. pony bottle, you not only have the option to put a gauge on it to determine if there is air in the tank prior to diving it, but if you are diving it, you will feel the breathing get harder as you empty the tank, the spare air basically breathes a few good breaths, then nothing.....Now what?? you still have 40 feet to ascend, and now you have no chance for a safety stop.

I am using an AL40 stage bottle as a pony, and am slinging it alongside me, I don't even realize it is there while I am diving, and the tank is neutral so I don't change my weighting with it either.

what I was taught was to check my SPG. If I can't manage to do that on a regular basis, I shouldn't be diving...

Yes because of course diving equipment NEVER fails. First stages never freeflow, second stages never fall apart, SPGs dont jam and overread with salt crystals, hoses dont rupture, o-rings don't rupture....

In fact i dont know why technical diving or cave diving use redundant tanks. If they just checked their SPGs they'd be fine.....

Okay, I understand the general consensus is that Spare air is a waste of time and more of a danger than a safety net.

I would like to know why you feel this way, reviews of the product on other third party sites give it glowing positive reviews. How many of you who hate this product actually have owned and used it? How many of you hate it because of the small capacity? It seems that most people think you should have a pony, which is fine but if you're diving primarily between 30 and 60 feet, why will a Spare Air not be fine for an OOA emergency?
Not trolling just don't understand the hatred here and the love elsewhere.

Note, in "Solo Diving", the author is a huge proponent of Spare Air. So, again, WTF?

Hey Goonsquad:

This Spare Air subject is about the most discussed item on SB. It's been talked to no end, but you want answers to legitimate questions, and you have a right to. You can look at previous posts, as discussed, and learn from them. That will work. IMHO, Spare Air is a devise that does not give a diver enough air to do a safe accent from any depth,(say more than 2 atmospheres). I believe it lures divers into a false sense of security.

To answer one of your questions, I have not used them. It's not enough air to satisfy me. For typical NDL diving, I carry double 85's, and sling a 30 pony. I carry the pony, just in case. Sometimes when I have plenty of backgas, I finish my dive on the 30, just to practice with it. I don't want the 'first' time I use my emergency equipment, in an emergency.

When we deco dive, we carry one or two 40's, slung on each side. One has the same percent of O2 gas mixture, the other may be a higher percentage, to shorten our deco obligation. I'm assuming that you are not a mixed gas user yet, but you may go that route, if you haven't already.

Back to Spare Air. I have researched these units, and talked to people who have had first hand experience with them. They are military pilots. It was designed for (mainly) helicopter pilots who need to ditch in water. The air inside them can get them out of their harness after an auto gyro into the water, and the bird is starting to take on water. They are extremely effective at surface or SHALLOW water escape. I knew a P3 Orion pilot (sub chasers) that had one too. It's a tool, that is true. But a tool for someone that needs air for a near surface rescue. Not at depth. I can see the manufacturer trying to diversify their product to other demographics, but to try to make a piece of life support gear, for use to a group of people that will use them at depth, and have trouble with the unit with a very limited air supply, just wrong.

I hope some of this will give you some insight. The previous posts have some very accurate information, that should be very useful. But remember, divers in OOA situations do panic. I don't care how good they are. It can happen. Carry a redundant bottle, like a 30. The design is not to have your last breath from the tank when you surface, but to have some left even if an OOA does happen to you. Safe diving.

I happened to get a spare air fairly cheap the other day, ($55), and I took it out and tested it. I started breathing on it at 20' on a 3 minute safety stop and I managed to complete the stop and make my ascent using it. Is it something I would feel comfortable having as a back up at 100'? Hell no!. I was pretty relaxed on that safety stop and by the time I surfaced the pressure indicator was nearly flush, (empty). It is however something I would feel comfortable using as a bail out at 50' or less and it would beat the hell out of doing a CESA. You might not have enough air for safety stops with one of these, but you could at least reach the surface while maintaining a safe ascent rate, (provided you keep your depths reasonable).

These things are really just tiny pony bottles. One thing that is pretty neat about them though, is that they use the same thread pitch as paintball tanks. So if the 3 cf is too small it's relatively cheap and easy to go to 5.7 cf or an 8.5 cf tank. I happened to have a spare 48" paintball tank lying around. You can buy a 48", (5.7 cf), paintball tank for $45 online and a 72", (8.5 cf), for about $55 or you can ask around and get them for around $20 when paintballers sell or upgrade their gear.

The two major flaws I see with the Spare Air are the relatively high price and the unavailability of parts. $300 or whatever price it is that they're currently asking for them is ridiculous. They should sell new for $175 or less and you should be able to buy rebuild kits as well.

Dear God:

You know I don't ask for much. I've never asked for riches. I've never asked for fancy cars or big house. I mostly accept what I have and am quite thankful. You've given me wonderful children, a beautiful wife, and endless springs, caves, and oceans to dive from. But Dear God, please please please stop the Spare Air threads. I can't handle the torture any longer.

Thanks again for everything.

Pete

1. Depending on the dive, if I had doubles and was trained to use them, I probably would;
2. Depending on the dive, if I had a pony and was practiced in using it, I probably would;
3. If I didn't have doubles or a pony and was diving shallow (less than 50 ft) with no overhead or risk of entanglement, and if I was planning to be below my NDL (a pretty safe bet on a single tank and less than 50 ft) and my weights were easily ditchable, I would likely not bother with a SpareAir;
4. If I was going deeper than 50 ft I would dearly love to have my (19 cu ft) pony. If not, I would carry a SpareAir if one was offered to me to minimize the likelihood of a deep water blackout (see Deep water blackout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which, ironically, happens in shallow water after an ascent from depth.

Sorry, Pete! :)

Back
Top Bottom