Sparing and equipment for 3 divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you live in SF you should dive Monterey more or plan a beach dive up in Sonoma County at someplace like Gerstle Cove in Salt Point State Park.
That would keep your gear being used and then you would have less problems when you travel because the bugs would be worked out, plus the added dives and experience couldn't hurt either.
As far as the gear goes, many who have been diving for a while or a long time have done away with gimicky and trendy gear and just use simple basic gear that doesn't break down. You can do any dive with basic gear that you can do with fancy gear.
For around here I just run tables because a computer really isn't needed. That also helps keep my mental calculations sharp and makes me pay attention.
I know that many or most tropical dive operators require computers so in that case to satisfy them I would just get a basic wrist computer and then also run tables on each dive as a backup.
Integrating a few deep stops on every dive has proven to dramatically improve bubble safety. Spending a few minutes at 30 feet then 20 feet and finally your 10 to 15 foot stop is way better and safer than just doing a 15 foot stop especially after a deeper dive.
Many computers don't recognize this theory, but it does work.

With BC's, many people have gone to a BP/W system because they are sick of the gimickyness of how modern Jackets and back inflates are designed. They just want something simple that works and can last years without costly repairs or expensive replacement pouches or parts.

With your reg, learn to do some easy adjustments on your own. Your freeflow problem was probably because the poppet seat on your second was set way to soft during the rebuild, so when it seated in it was too loose which resulted in a flow by or a "hiss". All you would have had to do was take the hose off and tighten up the slotted seat adjustment about a 1/4 turn and you would have been fine.
There are good books out there that can help you with stuff like this.

You guys need to get on a charter boat to the Channel Islands. That's where us Norcaler's go for a cheap local tropical dive get away :wink:

With your reg, learn to do some easy adjustments on your own. Your freeflow problem was probably because the poppet seat on your second was set way to soft during the rebuild, so when it seated in it was too loose which resulted in a flow by or a "hiss". All you would have had to do was take the hose off and tighten up the slotted seat adjustment about a 1/4 turn and you would have been fine.
There are good books out there that can help you with stuff like this.

Can you recommend any of these books?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom