Speaking of Nitrox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
Why is the price so high? what would make it more affordable?

I pay $6.00 at my usual LDS and $7.50 elsewhere. My air fills are $2.50 at my usual LDS and $5.00 elsewhere. If I go out on a boat ($50) and driuve there ($30) it is really the smallest part of the expence of diving.

ok and thank you DOC

The average price of a fill around here is $4 to get a EAN fill it is $10 to $20 depending on the blend. of course the BEST is my LDS that hasn't charged for a fill yet, unless the customer asks for a rush order ie 30 minutes or sooner.

but in regards to EAN fills what makes them so high priced?

I didn't make that clear! I either pay $6.00 at my LDS for NitrOx or $7.50 anywhere else. The blend does not matter, and niether does the size of the bottle. I pay $2.50n for plain ol' air (clean air, but air nonetheless).

The reason nitrox costs more than air is the dive shop must buy oxygen. This cost is passed on to you along with a profit margin.

DSSW,

WWW™

You guys have got it good. I have to pay $6 just for plain old air. I have no idea what they would charge for anything else, probably about twice the going rate.

Later, Hawk.

I don't live far from you, and at my LDS, it is $3 for air and $8 for Nitrox. The fills for O2 higher than 39% is higher, though. Unless you buy a fill card, which makes it cheaper. I think it goes as low as $1.50 for air and $3 for Nitrox with a card.

here it's $5 for air and 12.50 for nitrox - most air fills are for classes, not divers going locally. Economies of scale. Fewer fills to pay the compressor price

nitrox is more expensive due to

1. buying O2
2. compressor parts being o2 clean as well
3. additional training in mixing nitrox for the fill station personnel

best I can think of

up here in the GWN the average charge I have seen is $5.00 for air (unless you have a card, than $4.00) and Nitrox fill is $15.00.

These are CDN $ prices so for those of you south of us it would be about 60% in USD.

considered? I know that the shops around me alll do PP blending but what about Membrane types then you wouldn't have to buy O2 which is free all around, just ask the plants.

Back
Top Bottom