spear fishing tips,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
going to be trying spear fishing, Buddy of mine tried to get me to go, but never did. any advice for a first timer, like size of the spear gun I was thinking 42-48". mostly going off shore.

My advice is to make sure you can see were you spear will land if spear fishing in popular dive spots. It scares me to see spear fisherman spearing in 10 ft vis when their spear can go 15 ft on a busy dive day here in Ft Wetherill, RI.

Sorry its not your direct answer; but enjoy your hobby; and be responsible as I've seen a lot of irresponsibility out there for all sorts of fishing activity not just spear fishing.

For instance, were I work, we have over 50 confiscated lobster traps brand new. The lobsterman built them with stainless steel hog rings (a no no) and he should have known better; although It was a violation I never would have known.

Don't look past shore spearfishing. Click here for my reasons. That was right off shore in very shore-diveable waters.

We usually see some decent sized tautog and rock cod just offshore on our South Shore dives, from Scituate to Plymouth.

And I'm hopefully stating the obvious to you, but it's illegal to spear striper in Mass.

I've wanted to try it for some time now. I'd be sure to check the local laws on that stuff before you go, though. Yak touched on it in his post. Enjoy yourself, there are fish everywhere...

Back
Top Bottom