• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Spearfishing and diving and how to stay stafe

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba Discussions' started by Hatul, May 11, 2012.

1. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Most hunters prefer to ambush/surprise their prey. You can't do that effectively in a group. I prefer to dive solo while hunting because I become a very BAD buddy in that situation. My attention is on where my prey is hiding and I don't want any distractions.

2. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I'm of the opinion that recreational scuba diving is a hazard to the diver, to those around him and to the marine life.
    :shakehead:
    ---------- Post added May 11th, 2012 at 10:52 PM ----------

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
    cmburch likes this.
  3. fjpatrum

fjpatrum Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    So other than "don't do it" is there anything you have to offer regarding the "how to stay safe" portion of your title? Are you intending to have a real discussion or just preach "abstinence"?

4. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    The Op should not be criticized for the title. ALL these posts (or portions there of) were removed from another thread.. Vandenburg spearfishing death.. which required the moderator to creat a new thread..

fjpatrum and MMM like this.
  5. MMM

MMM Giant Squid Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thank you dumpsterDiver! I forgot to put a mod message into the first post of this new thread indicating I had split it from the A&I thread. Yes, the title is one I pulled from the air. If people have ideas for a better title let me know (by PM ideally) and I will be more than happy to change it for a more suitable one.

fjpatrum likes this.
  6. fjpatrum

fjpatrum Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that and haven't hit A&I for a while... some of the comments make more sense now. :wink:

7. RickyF

RickyF Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    My dive buddy and I spearfish together often. We gear up, do safety checks and descend together. When spearing a wreck or live bottom, we are only close enough to maintain visual contact. You never load your gun until you are at the sight and the safety is on until you are aready to shoot. You need to remember that most spearguns only have a 15-20 effective range so accidently spearing someone would almost have to be intentional. We will finish our dive and ascend together.

8. scubamama5

scubamama5 Master Instructor

# of Dives:
    Am so sorry for the family left behind. The only report we've received so far, is that this diver went in 15 or so minutes before his buddies did...when the buddy pair went in, a big fish was seen..thrashing along the side of the ship..maybe it was an AmberJack..they then followed the line back.. couldn't raise him..drop his weight..or inflate his BC ...so they left him there to go for help.....the report didn't say he was wrapped up.. coulda' happened that way.. Seems a lot of what if's..

9. dtdiver

dtdiver Solo Diver

Can someone explain how a fish will entangle you? Seems either they would swim away fast. And if they get close you would stab them ?
    I've never spearfished, obviously.

10. TwoBitTxn

TwoBitTxn Instructor, Scuba

In keeping in the rules of this section of the board, you are better off asking this question in the spearfishing section of the board. You should get a really good answer and explaination there.

DandyDon likes this.