spearfishing in florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I used to snorkle spearfish up in Destin, but now unfortunatly I live in Orlando. I just got my Open water, and Im looking for advice on where to go, and what kind of gear I need. Trying to decide if I need a Nitrox/air computer, an air integrated comp, or just a basic computer...

Any advice?

I used to snorkle spearfish up in Destin, but now unfortunatly I live in Orlando. I just got my Open water, and Im looking for advice on where to go, and what kind of gear I need. Trying to decide if I need a Nitrox/air computer, an air integrated comp, or just a basic computer...

Any advice?

THE PLACE is the Jupiter/Juno area. It is where the largest number of big fish are, in the highest concentrations. As you are a new diver, you need some time diving before you go to crazy over the best spots, as they are mostly 85 feet deep to 130.
Jupter Dive Center would be the shop and boat to use for the optimal spearfishing, and their are a few Holiday Inn Express type hotels very close to the shop/boat.

Prior to actually doing the Jupter / Juno spearfishing, try Delray a few times with Underwater Explorers, a 6 pack operating out of Boynton Beach. You need some practice in 40 to 70 feet for 10 or 20 dives, so you learn how much air you can blow when you shoot a fish near the end of your planned dive......it just so happens, that if you expected to do 60 feet for 50 minutes, that the monster hogsnapper of all time will show up just as you begin ascending at 50 minutes.....You need to become very aware of just how fast you can suddenly blow through air in a situation like this, when you have next to no reserves. In 50 feet of water, you can learn this without much threat..in 100 feet of water, your air disappears much faster, and the problem you are left with is much bigger :)

As for gear, if you are good with math, get a GUE person to teach you ratio deco instead of buying a computer, then just get a timer/depth guage. Also a compass, and mount one on each wrist. You dont want a console, as they drag on the bottom and catch ( the way many divers use them), at the worst times.

Get a 60 inch gun, preferably a Euro gun, as they shoot faster, and there are few fish even in Jupiter that are so big that you will need the heavy spears of the big American guns. As the Euro guns are usually chest cocking guns, a chest pad on your wetsuit is a good idea.

Freediving fins...Cressi or better still specialfins.com the BW specials. The speed and power you will want, the better low air consumption they will allow, and you already snorkel, so you will freedive with them as well.

If you have not hunted before, do not go deep to learn, or for big fish. In your case, I would keep it well within recreational limits. A smaller pipe gun would be easier to learn with as well. i would suggest a 90-110cm Mako predator as a starter gun. You were recently certified, don't bite off more than you can chew.
One good resource is Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin to get the answers about all spearfishing and gear questions you can imagine.

be safe

....As for gear,........

Lol!!! Any other spearo board and you would have 20 pages of replies to your list.

So in the spirit of fun (and unlimited money) I'll just add you'll need an AV-1 scooter and a shark shield to go with Dan's list.

Any advice?

+1 pm Jupiter area hunting, though be prepared for more current and deeper dives. DanVolker gave you some great advice.

Also +1 on Underwater Explorers www.diveboyntonbeach.com in Boynton Beach with ScubaKevDM & Wilsway (here on Scubaboard).

Yes on Nitrox. A basic computer will do unless you really need the AI computer to whistle at you to remind you it's time to go back up. Yes, you will get so intent on the hunt that minutes and PSI will fly past you in a hearbeat. Excitement of the hunt will increase your air consumption rate dramatically. I am a totally different diver with a gun in hand than I am with a camera in hand. Be prepared to consider yourself a "solo" diver for all practical purposes while hunting as buddies will get seperated when on the prowl. Throwing a bunch of recreational divers in the water you follow a big bubble cluster, but throwing a bunch of spearos in the water is like throwing marbles on the floor expecting them to stay together...not happening. The phrase "hearding cats" fits.

Read the forums and really bone up on your UW fish ID skills and FWC limits. In the beginning keep it simple. A gun that fits your armlength for comfortable band loading in the beginning until you develop the techniques & muscle memory to reload the bands easily while maintaining neutral bouyancy. Also in the beginning don't try for that trophy fish, just take home some dinner. Watch and learn from other spearfisher(wo)men. Find a good mentor.
I recommend Randy Jordan on Emerald Charters in Jupiter.
scuba diving jupiter
He runs great hunting trips and is a very patient teacher.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Elena

:rofl3:Sorry not even close Middle Grounds or Canaveral to Jax have more fish in one small area than all of Jupiter,Ft.Pierce,Delray and the Keys put together and multiplied.

You get more fishable days down south but the reefs are astonishingly bare compared to here.I still dive there on occasion but mostly just to see the natural wrecks.The Middle Grounds consistantly provide trophy fish as well.

A basic set-up is all that's required,I dive with guys who still use a backpack.Unless you are old,out of shape or paranoid about DCS stay away from Suunto computers as you will spend more time on deco than spearfishing in depths past 100' .Nitrox is really nice.A single band gun like a JBL,AB Biller or Sea Hornet in 48 to 60 inches in stainless or wood.
Try spearboard for more in depth recommendations and to find some serious shooters in your area or nearby.
I have a few pix of some fish here locally in my profile.

:rofl3:Sorry not even close Middle Grounds or Canaveral to Jax have more fish in one small area than all of Jupiter,Ft.Pierce,Delray and the Keys put together and multiplied.

You get more fishable days down south but the reefs are astonishingly bare compared to here.I still dive there on occasion but mostly just to see the natural wrecks.The Middle Grounds consistantly provide trophy fish as well.

A basic set-up is all that's required,I dive with guys who still use a backpack.Unless you are old,out of shape or paranoid about DCS stay away from Suunto computers as you will spend more time on deco than spearfishing in depths past 100' .Nitrox is really nice.A single band gun like a JBL,AB Biller or Sea Hornet in 48 to 60 inches in stainless or wood.
Try spearboard for more in depth recommendations and to find some serious shooters in your area or nearby.
I have a few pix of some fish here locally in my profile.

Canaveral to Jax is a different world of diving...it is a harsher place, one with typically poor vis, and one that definitely has bigger fish in bigger numbers....but the cost is having to run much farther out from shore, and putting new divers into a place they may feel very uncomfortable in, and may not learn well in a scenario like this.
If the original poster was a serious John Dillinger type hunter killer, I would be in absolute agreement with you.
And while the middle grounds has nicer vis, going diving on a slow boat that has to take you out 100 miles to a dive site, for your hunting extravaganza, is still for a smaller subset of the population that wants to spend the huge time required for spearfishing trips like this, that does NOT get sea sick, and have no real interest in seeing pretty corals and sponges etc, only in shooting big fish.

For most of us, a trip to the middle grounds would mean it would suck for the girlfiend or wife, and you pretty much blow the weekend for a couple of dives. It would be something to do once or twice a year, NOT every single Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon.

On the oher hand, once the OP "gets to be good at spearfishing and diving", he should definitely consider a middle grounds trip as you suggest.

Had 50' to 100' foot vis for the most part in my reports since May in depths from 80' on.80' is about 10 miles out.Lately there are guys freediving the shallower inshore reefs and doing well.Offshore is much better but inshore is still awesome.

Right now is a different story with bad vis,big sharks and nor'easters every other week.Right now the Keys and inshore Gulf waters are about to go off and are 60' or less.I love the S. Florida stuff for wrecks/corals/tropicals etc... but the spearfishing is weak compared to other places.

Hey guys, taking a trip to Lower Keys, after reading all the rules, regulation and restrictions...where CAN you hunt the lower keys? Ill be diving Looe Key with my kids most of the week, and I know I cant hunt there, but is there a place somewhere between Marathon and Summerland thats not a protected area? Not looking for records or giants, just some hogfish, sapper, etc for dinner. thanks

Outsideof the white bouys with orange stripe at Looe.Elsewhere outside yallow bouys.MPAs are posted at FWC website.Fish the ledge from 60'-100' for your best bet.The artificials also hold fish but can be spooky due to the amount of divers they see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom