Spearfishing in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
A friend of mine would like to do a quick trip in September. The main requirements are cheap, and spearfishing. I'm going for the diving and could care less about 'slaying' something.

Where in the Caribean is there good diving and spearfishing (free diving spearfishing, not with tanks).

Can you get cheap airfair? I know it is hurricane season and we are willing to take our chances.

Thanks,
Matt

You'll have to take Cayman off the list. Only Caymanians can get a license to spearfish and importing the equipment is prohibitted.

Check the legality of your endeavor before booing tickets. Hurricane season often brings travel bargains. By September hurricane season is at or near peak. Odds may be slightly better the further south you go in the Caribbean.

I assume spearfishing is not legal in most tourist areas. Apparently it is legal in St. Croix, but I can't find cheap airfare.

Going south is probably out of the question, once you start hitting non-direct flights the cost goes out of my buddy's range.

We are going to take our chances in the hurricane belt. Having grown up on the beach hurricanes can be exiciting. Worst comes to worst we hang out and watch a hurricane.

It is legal in St. Thomas. You may be able to find affordable air fare. From St. Thomas you can also take the ferry to St. John. However, keep in mind that most of St. John is protected by the national park. So verify the boudaries.

Take the British VI off the list. Is illegal to fish without a permit, and I think (not sure) spearfishing is prohibitted.

Good luck,

SW

It may be legal in parts of the USVI however you'd better contact dive operators first unless you plan on privately chartering a boat. Most operators, if not all, will not take sport divers and spearfishers at once.

Doesn't look good for the briefing when the DM is telling everyone what they may see and you come back with it on a stringer.

Also per the previous post, nearly all of St. John is off limits and areas around St. Thomas, such as the marine park around Little St. James. St. Croix does have national marine park areas as well (Buck Island) and parts have been expanded.

If you do charter a boat yourself better take a third person topside. The USCG may not be to quick to come and get you if your boat has floated away while diving.

You may want to contact admiralty dive center on St. Thomas as they are the only shop I know there that will take spearfishers. But leave the tanks as I think marty only takes our spearfishers who can freedive.

Costa Rica is known for having some good blue-water (i.e. deep water, no reefs) spearfishing for large fish.

Bahamas, only pole spear and has to be free-diving.

Scubachris is right, most boats won't take out rec divers and speaos out at the same time...better to ask first rather than your friend being disappointed.

Have you considered FL? Just a thought...there's some dive boats in WPB/Jupiter/Keys that do allow spearing. Keys - mid to lower keys (upper keys have tons of parks where it's illegal) would be shallow enough for free-diving. :)

Back
Top Bottom