Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, Rodney is an incredible man.
I am going to his museum in the next couple of weeks, should be very interesting :D

That "spaghetti" was almost certainly a tendon. I had a patient once who cut off his "spaghetti" before he came for medical assistance! NOT a good idea.

All "Hunting" on SCUBA is expressly illegal in Belize. The decision was taken because of evidence from other parts of the world which showed that even with regulation stocks are depleted dramatically in those areas that permit it. Here if you have a tank and reg in a boat with fish you go straight to jail. Free Diving is allowed and to be honest is the only way of hunting I can agree with. It's a challenge a promotes good water skilss and overall "situational awarenes".
Raffles

I can agree with skill developing but why are humans the ony being that kis for pleasure?

Hmmm, Interesting conclusion to Belize's choice to ban spearfishing on Scuba, because spearfishing accounts for less than 1% of the fish depletion. Spearfisherman can be selective in what they shoot and therefore not waste anything they take out of the water. For anyone that's tried it, it's much more challenging than you think.

Problem is, and everyone's been on boats and witnessed it, a lot of people don't discriminate, and in a country where fishing is one of the basic industries for locals, and that doesn't have a major GDP it rapidly goes from 1% to 100%.

Raffles

..........we are not alone in killing for pleasure. We just happen to be pretty good at it. Cats are merely one example of other animals who kill for pleasure.

WWW™

Water, my friend,

Do you want me to believe we humans are just like the average cat?
If a cat kills for pleasure, one more reason for us to be superior.

.......you asked why we were the only creature who kills for pleasure. I merely pointed out it wasn't true. Cats are merely on species of many with this trait. I never placed a value judgement on the concept. Each of us must decide for ourselves how we value things. I believe it is a survival trait, a good quality for how species to continue.

WWW™

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom