Spearguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. EZ,
The group has talked me into a band gun. I first looked into
STEN the little leg model, really small straps to your leg, looked
cool. Doubt if I could get any fish at that range. Yes, my search
has been exhaustive. Thanks so much.

**********NEWS FLASH**********
I went to the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show today (blew off the Keys
due to a cold front 73 degrees HA HA) The Show, I believe is the largest in the world. With 120 ft. yachts and sailboats that will
just amaze you. Only 1 booth with guns, Billers and Riffe.

This man won't talk to me says - wait for this blonde girl to talk
to you. I thought (like a man) what could she know about guns?
She starts talking says her name is Julie (OH MY GOD)--Julie
Riffe. See the Riffe internet site. Julie shot the woman's world
record yellow fin tuna 82#, in Cabos San Lucas Mexico March of this year (read the story on the site) fighting off 2 hammerhead
sharks. This just blew my mind SHE was explaining what gun would be good for me????? Then she brings out these pictures of her with giant size fish, bigger than her height. I couldn't talk - MY HERO - She began to load a gun stomach load.
HA, a......BLONDE GIRL.....cocking a speargun

-- the men all started moving out of the way. This was really funny. If anyone knows how to handle a gun it's her. I'M JUST BLOWN AWAY.

Then Julie says she's moving to Ft. Laud. and would love to
go spearfishing with me. Its like Tiger Woods asking you to
play golf. Or Michael Jordan asking you to play Basketball, like shoot some hoops. By this time, I was babbling, but no words could come out. I'M MUST BLOWN AWAY. What was I looking at.... ah....spearguns....oh yeh.

Want to know what she said?

Originally posted by Sara Smiles

Want to know what she said?
Well of course we want to know what she said!
She is, after all, the ultimate voice of experience in the technique, the fine points of women's spearfishing...
And I have to say I'm more than a little jealous that you have an invitation!
Rick

YES RICK,

Here is what Julie Riffe had to say. She noted it was difficult for me to load a teak #1 39". She told me to stomach load it and demonstated. She loaded from the stomach.
Then she went on to explain that I really didn't need a three band gun unless I wanted it. If I wanted a three band that was bigger like the 48" 2XS or longer yet 3XS, they could add longer bands (as you said too) to make loading easier. Any of their guns can be customized.

She felt that the #1 teak 39" gun would be fine for me. That gun has only 2 slots on the shaft and that I should add a third band. LOADING: Either load the 1st band on the 1st shaft mark, and the 2other bands together on the second mark spot on the shaft for more power. The #1 teak 39" only has 2 marks/knotches on the shart for bands. She told me the thicker shaft is preferable and the Riffe are interchangeable.

Or she said get the Bigger 48" teak, 3 knotch shaft and only load 2 bands on first two knotches.
or get it with the third band longer, so it is easier to load using all three marks.
This gun would have to be ordered.

Or load 3 as above with 2 bands on the second knotch/mark none on the third
Or 2 bands on the first mark and the third on the second mark.
Hope my description isn't confusing.

Speartips - Julie recommented the large tip about 3 " long with two butterflys? She said when they become dull you can file them sharper over and over again because they are very long. She showed me a Hawiian flopper. I guess that head had 4 sides to it. Said this one is more difficult to sharpen.

So Rick, you were right with the longer band theory making it
easier to load - great advice like the pros.

She said the corded kevlar? wishbones on there bands a more silent. The metal wishbones make more noise.

Julie said for bigger fish you need the bungie and the rubber
cord with the float and flag. How once she held on to a tuna and went for a ride at the surface for a long time, like skiing with a fish pulling you. I told her I grabbed a big fish by the tail right away and he couldn't motor anywhere. She said that is what you try to do. Then she mentioned you can buy a reel and add it.

Summary- Thick shaft, large tip, alternate size bands. (For
me that is).

She quoted me the 39" teak the only wood gun they had there besides a 56" metal mid handle. The price was $50 higher than my LDS on the 39" and $30 higher that my LDS. Then I realized that this both only had about 7 spearguns and the primarily sold the underwater inner tube breathers with about 30 ft of hose, instead of scuba. No local support or stock on guns.

Then I picked up a 42" biller for $210. with a bang stick mounted on 1 side and a spare spear on the other side. Showed Julie,
she just shook her head no. The thing weighed a ton.

We talked more about types of fish in this area, boats etc..
I said I'm definitely going to buy a Riffe. Then I said she should go
-this man was waiting to talk to her for 25 min.

Didn't buy a gun from her. It's cheaper elsewhere the same thing. Am I a jerk? Just think though I could have said I bought this gun from Julie Riffe. Maybe had her sign it.

I'm a very hard sell...
but I've already got lower quotes elsewhere... with local service.

Stand Corrected: It was a 92# yellow fin tuna she speared in Mexico which is possible going to be the 2001 world record.
She was on the 1997 cover of Outside MaGAzine. And from
my shoddy memory the 1996 and 1998 world record holder.

Smiling Now,

Hi, everyone,
The BIG Conclusion WHAT GUN TO BUY :doctor:

My birthday came up, 47th i might add reluctantly
and my three brothers bought me.......

=-) A JBL Woody Sawed-off Magnum Wood Speargun
with a special 3 notch shaft, and 3 bands 9/16" but a
little longer bands. I can load the gun perfectly. Took
it down once and saw no fish just lobsters. ks :wink:
My brothers never got me anything before:D What a
surprize=-) .

Thanks for all your help. Now I need a little floaty with a
dive flag so if I get a big fish I don't loose em.

THE END OF THE QUEST,
Sara is really SMiling now

The woodie is a good gun. I'm curious about the "floatie". Are you scuba diving or freediving?

So Riffe is using Kevlar for their wishbones. That has got to be better than that nylon string they originally used. That stuff would fray pretty quick. Suggest you replace your shooting line with 500 lb test Kevlar. It is so thin that drag on your arrow is significantly reduced. Won't cut as readily. DO NOT use kevlar on a reel, will jam big time.

Don't worry about the steel wishbone's alleged noise producing quality. This is standard Riffe sales pitch and is pretty silly. On medium size guns the steel wire wishbone is easier to load by far. I make my own wishbones out of 19 strand steel cable. This allows guys like me, with average arm length, to reach waaaay up with one hand to grip the rubbers on a 6 foot gun, and without bending or breaking the wishbone. They normally last almost forever. I tried them on Riffe but the rather narrow sharkfins cause the cable to indent and even splay the strands. IOW, they don't last as long. That's the real reason Riffe uses string, he can't use cable and he can't use wire.

Anyway, good luck and good hunting.

PS Can we have the boullabaise recipe?

Sara,

I have the same gun you just got for your birthday. Here's something I did that makes "cocking" the gun easier for me:

I did nothing to the first wishbone (meaning the wishbone on the first band you pull), but I put a downward bend on the second and third wishbones. This downward bend (maybe 30 degrees) drops the wishbone into the notch, almost without me even looking at what I am doing.

Hi,
Thank you for the 500 lb. kevlar line suggestion. Planned on
doing that as soon as mine wears out. Hate that other line.
Too bad Julie Riffe would have been disappointed on her sales
ability. But who needs that when you can get fish like her.
I scuba dive and sometimes free dive.

Really don't know how the floatie works. Attach it to gun. If
prey takes off with your gun you can follow the little dive flag on the surface. It will be a learning experience. Had 3 knifes break on me and read about the guy who almost drown when the line
wrapped around his leg and knife and was pulling him down.
He made it with no panic quick thinking and managed to get the knife and cut the line. THanks for that little contingency planning about cutting the kevlar. Probably need a cutting tool.

Will send bouillabase recipe later. Got to run. Also have a good oyster stew recipe from Food Network. To die for....

Thanks again,
Sara Smiles:)

Hi Stone,

:)
Thanks for the tip on bending the wishbones. Ill try it.
You were the one that pointed me to JBL woodie and the
website. I priced it all over. Thanks a lot.
My brother saw me bidding on it on ebay but ordered it
from liesurepro.com. Good deal.

How do you maintain it. Silicone on rubber and metal. Rinse each time after salt water. ???

Bidding on Ebay you dont get any deals. I won many bids but didnt meet the reserve which was way too high. Glad the
bros decided for me.

Good hunting,
Sara Smiles
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom